Thinking about starting a contest site.

Thread: Thinking about starting a contest site.

Thinking about starting a contest site.

I'm thinking about starting a site for a weekly flash fiction contest, just for fun.

What I have in mind is stories under 1,000 words, one per week, for one year minimum.

The stories would be written to a prompt, possibly even with the prompts for an entire year listed at the start.

I was thinking of having a prize to make it more fun and get more participation, maybe a $5 Amazon gift card every week.

The entries would be behind a password so first rights wouldn't be used up.

The site might consist of the contest entries and announcement of winners only, no other comments (I would want to keep it simple, not moderate discussions).

I'd want to participate as a contestant myself, so that rules out the simplest way to decides who wins, which would be me just being the judge. I'd want the judging to be quick and easy, just which story or stories the judge/judges liked the best.

Also, it might be nice to have other people involved in running it. Not sure on that yet.

So, if I do it, there are lots of details to work out. Anyone have any thoughts? Would you want to participate in such a site? All input appreciated and even more so from those who have experience running contests.
    Last edited by Ma'am; July 25th, 2019 at 02:15 AM.

Very cool idea. If executed properly, this could be very beneficial to writers. I find that competiton can increase the rate of improvement.

Okay, so now I'm wondering if not much response here means there's not much interest here for such a site, or if people just don't have much to add to a discussion about it.

Hmm... (if it's not against the rules), can y'all just click "like" if you would be interested in participating in a weekly flash contest site at all? I want to get an idea of if it's worth further consideration or if I should just let the idea drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Okay, so now I'm wondering if not much response here means there's not much interest here for such a site, or if people just don't have much to add to a discussion about it.

Hmm... (if it's not against the rules), can y'all just click "like" if you would be interested in participating in a weekly flash contest site at all? I want to get an idea of if it's worth further consideration or if I should just let the idea drop.
    It's not that it doesn't interest me, but I already participate in some non-internet writing contests so I would be too stretched.

Sorry, Ma'am! I just didn't see this post! It might be others haven't either. Do you want to ask Adimn if you could put a link to the thread in your signature?
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    Sorry, Ma'am! I just didn't see this post! It might be others haven't either. Do you want to ask Adimn if you could put a link to the thread in your signature?
    I'll wait awhile to see if there's any more interest here. Not sure if I want to put in the effort or not yet. Thanks, though!

I'm leaning towards going for it. I can always just cancel it if there's not enough interest. Does anyone know of a good place to set it up at? It has to be easy to use and be able to set up behind a password so contestants' first rights aren't used up.

I like the idea. I love writing flash fiction to good prompts. As they say, build it and they will come (if they can find out how to get there). Maybe I could also help you promote it. I do a monthly online flash fiction newsletter, and have for about seventeen years, and if it fits when you've built your group, I could alert many flash fiction writers who would likely be interested too. (I also used to admin an active flash fiction workshop that had a long waiting list to get it. I ran it for about twenty years but finally quit doing it. My point is, though, I know a lot of writers of flash fiction I could alert to your new forum.) Best of luck with it and do keep us informed.

You may wanna check out this site.
    They have a long list of the contests being offered around the world.

https://www.dystopianstories.com/wri...ions-contests/