So If I Were To....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So If I Were To....

Blog Entries

So If I Were To....

Write more than one story at a time would that be advisable or would i be biting off more than I could chew? Also how far does plagiarism and copyright go? For example The Matrix doesn't have a monopoly on the whole cyber world concept correct so could i in theory write my own story involving a VR world and machines?
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Absolutely. In fact, William Gibson's novels, "Virtual Light," and his stories, "Burning Chrome," pre-date "The Matrix" by nearly two decades. You're safe.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Absolutely. In fact, William Gibson's novels, "Virtual Light," and his stories, "Burning Chrome," pre-date "The Matrix" by nearly two decades. You're safe.
    Ok cool. Want to write a Sci-Fi story involving some VR and AR tech gone wrong.

I keep multiple stories going at a time as a way to defeat writer's block.
    Get blocked on one story, then start another until you get blocked on that.
    By the time that happens, usually you've figured out what to do on the first story.

The secret to making it work is keeping the files organized so when you get back to the story it's easy to pickup where you left off. I create a folder for each book/story. As I work on a story I throw things in the folder; research items, jacket text, clip art for the cover... The folder fills up by the time the book is published.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    Write more than one story at a time would that be advisable or would i be biting off more than I could chew? Also how far does plagiarism and copyright go? For example The Matrix doesn't have a monopoly on the whole cyber world concept correct so could i in theory write my own story involving a VR world and machines?
    It entirely depends on you. I don't write multiple projects at once because (1) Time (2) I tend to get entirely invested mentally in a single idea and cannot easily compartmentalize different projects (I can't switch off one to work totally on another, in other words) and (3) I am not naturally organized enough to keep two separate projects' planning apart. It works for Ralph, however, so it's clearly not 'wrong'.

This video has been posted on here before but I really recommend you watch it. The vast majority of the time it seems writers get the 'two projects' idea and all it does it mean neither get written. It's an exercise in distraction, in other words. Why not use the excitement about your 'shiny new idea' to motivate you to get the current idea done? Like a reward of sorts?

"If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I keep multiple stories going at a time as a way to defeat writer's block.
    Get blocked on one story, then start another until you get blocked on that.
    By the time that happens, usually you've figured out what to do on the first story.

The secret to making it work is keeping the files organized so when you get back to the story it's easy to pickup where you left off. I create a folder for each book/story. As I work on a story I throw things in the folder; research items, jacket text, clip art for the cover... The folder fills up by the time the book is published.
    I actually have multiple folders for different projects but I was mostly to scared to start something else. Now that I have a better grasp on writing however I feel confidence in my abilities to write several stories at once. Love to get advice from here from time to time especially when I start to doubt myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    It entirely depends on you. I don't write multiple projects at once because (1) Time (2) I tend to get entirely invested mentally in a single idea and cannot easily compartmentalize different projects (I can't switch off one to work totally on another, in other words) and (3) I am not naturally organized enough to keep two separate projects' planning apart. It works for Ralph, however, so it's clearly not 'wrong'.

This video has been posted on here before but I really recommend you watch it. The vast majority of the time it seems writers get the 'two projects' idea and all it does it mean neither get written. It's an exercise in distraction, in other words. Why not use the excitement about your 'shiny new idea' to motivate you to get the current idea done? Like a reward of sorts?

This may even be true for me as well. God only knows all of the stories that pass through my brain in a single day. The big headache fo,r me is the constant two to three that love to stick around and that have been around for the past five or so years. If that isn't a sign for me to just write them then I don't know what is. Still I'd like to get others opinions on the matter first before I set these plans in motion in my own. Thanks for the advice. I shall let this stew for aday or two. See were it go's. Until then I shall continue my outline for my current story. I had to start back from scratch thanks to my computer dying on me but I'm back up to chapter 6. Yay...

Luckyscars, this is true for me, too. I have my current project that I'm slogging through, and I have a new idea that I can't wait to get started on, and I'm using the new idea as a sort of carrot to keep going on the one on which I'm currently working.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Multiple simultaneous projects is indeed an advanced thing. I think the only reason I am able to do it is because I have written something like a dozen books, so I've been through the process so many times that it's easy to keep it all straight. I doubt I could have successfully done it a decade ago.

But the benefit of doing it is that when I am stumped on a book, I can set it aside and write something else.
    In the past I would try to write thru the blockage...and ended up writing shite.
    So now, when in doubt, I pause the project.
    I'd rather put it on hold than write a bad story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Multiple simultaneous projects is indeed an advanced thing. I think the only reason I am able to do it is because I have written something like a dozen books, so I've been through the process so many times that it's easy to keep it all straight. I doubt I could have successfully done it a decade ago.

But the benefit of doing it is that when I am stumped on a book, I can set it aside and write something else.
    In the past I would try to write thru the blockage...and ended up writing shite.
    So now, when in doubt, I pause the project.
    I'd rather put it on hold than write a bad story.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one to think that having multiple projects is a good thing. Also glad to know that those ten years of Science Fiction research won't go to waste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast