Bullet Proof Medieval Armor. - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bullet Proof Medieval Armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    As a matter of fact, it was common during the Russian Revolution for people to wear multiple thick wool coats. It wasn't for warmth.
    Mongols did the same sort of thing, a horse hair top coat with a silk coat underneath. The extra advantage was that the silk did not break but was dragged by an arrow, so you could twist it around and use it to pull the arrow out from the tip, Japanese house coats made with a lining of mixed unspun silk and cotton are also supposed to be able to stop a knife blade sometimes. The long threads of unspun silk hold the lining in place between inner and outer layers without quilting.

Sorry Rojack, this is not all that useful to you, but it is fascinating stuff.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Mongols did the same sort of thing, a horse hair top coat with a silk coat underneath. The extra advantage was that the silk did not break but was dragged by an arrow, so you could twist it around and use it to pull the arrow out from the tip, Japanese house coats made with a lining of mixed unspun silk and cotton are also supposed to be able to stop a knife blade sometimes. The long threads of unspun silk hold the lining in place between inner and outer layers without quilting.

Sorry Rojack, this is not all that useful to you, but it is fascinating stuff.
    Don't be sorry all of this is interesting and it can all come in handy one day.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

True fact: If you fire a rifle bullet into a Saguaro cactus, the round will get lost inside of the cactus.
    But if you fire an arrow at a Saguaro, it will protrude out both sides.
    After that the Sheriff comes and arrests you.

The point I am trying to make is that under some conditions, an arrow has better penetration than a modern rifle.
    They work better against submerged targets as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    True fact: If you fire a rifle bullet into a Saguaro cactus, the round will get lost inside of the cactus.
    But if you fire an arrow at a Saguaro, it will protrude out both sides.
    After that the Sheriff comes and arrests you.

The point I am trying to make is that under some conditions, an arrow has better penetration than a modern rifle.
    They work better against submerged targets as well.
    I knew that arrows were powerful but not that powerful. Make's me wonder what kind of shield you would need to withstand an arrow volley.

I read a description once of people fleeing Welsh archers who were let into a postern door of a castle. The frustrated archer let fly at the closed door which was made of oak planks three thick, one layer vertical, one diagonal and one horizontal, like super heavy duty three ply. They penetrated the door, sticking several inches out the other side and were left there as a talking point for some time.

You talk about using some 'magical' wood for the bow, but remember in a yew long bow the wood has more than one quality because they cut the bow so that it is half the older centre wood and half the newer outside wood, one is hard and strong, the other has more spring, and it is the combination that makes the bow so powerful.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epimetheus View Post
    Also came across this video.

Wow. Lamellar armor is tough. I do wonder how well it would work against ball ammo but still that's impressive that it stood up to all those shots.

Blog Entries
    I read a description once of people fleeing Welsh archers who were let into a postern door of a castle. The frustrated archer let fly at the closed door which was made of oak planks three thick, one layer vertical, one diagonal and one horizontal, like super heavy duty three ply. They penetrated the door, sticking several inches out the other side and were left there as a talking point for some time.

You talk about using some 'magical' wood for the bow, but remember in a yew long bow the wood has more than one quality because they cut the bow so that it is half the older centre wood and half the newer outside wood, one is hard and strong, the other has more spring, and it is the combination that makes the bow so powerful.
    True. I do know some bows are made of composite wood pieces but for me I'm just wondering if the fact that the bow is made from Yiggdrasil should have some effect on it's performance. Now that I think about it what kind of tree is Yiggdrasil? I don't have much knowledge of the different types of trees in the world nor how each tree effects the bow in question.

Blog Entries

That's true of a yew longbow but doing my research has led me to the fact that Yiggdrasil is an Ash tree which is a good Wood for certain kinds of bows. Now Fenrir is most likely going to use a short hunting bow not a longbow at least for now. Yiggdrasil being the world tree would make the bow special I just need to figure out how it would do this in what I feel to be a logical way.

Back to original question, plate armour remained bulletproof for as long as it was in use. However, as shots became more powerful, armour got thicker and coverage of less vital areas was abandoned (so you got 3/4 armour for cavalrymen, which was previously only worn by infantry, and then finally just breastplates). In fact, "bulletproof" comes from "bullet of proof" - that is, an armourer would shoot a pistol from point-blank range to prove that his armour could withstand bullets. This mark on armour is referred to as "proof".

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast