Drafts

Thread: Drafts

Drafts

Here you can give your opinions on drafts.
    Are drafts just important or indeed necessary (or neither, since there are literarary kinds, such as stream of consciousness, that -supposedly- bypass drafts)?
    Are drafts means of experimenting?
    As for the ones of us unaccustomed to planning- are we aware of what we're missing?
    Looking forward to this thread profiting us all.
    Last edited by Ken11; July 12th, 2019 at 05:12 PM.

Isn't anything a draft though? You can't really write something, create something, bake something with out the first one being a draft or a test or step one. I think drafts are essential to creating a more final product... although it seems like you could forever edit writing and always find something to fix!

It's a precarious, a mind-boggling thing: Many writers of published works when asked if they would change something in those works if they could, answered they would...
    Last edited by Ken11; July 20th, 2019 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    It's a precarious, a mind-boggling thing: Many writers of published works when asked if they would change something in those works if they could, answered they would...
    I have to admit as someone who's written without an editor for the past few year's i can definitely say that there are some thing's I'd change. That being said i think that not having an editor has helped me to become a better writer over all. Can't say that i'd change much of anything in my stories ether.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

The whole point of drafts is to ensure that the finalized piece is high in quality. On that basis, drafts are supposed to make things easier. Essentially you're figuring out things by writing.

At the moment, for my short stories, I write usually two drafts. The first draft I do not write to be intentionally bad, I am generally careful, but I don't worry overmuch either. And of course the end result of that first draft is usually still fairly rough.

The second draft is about making the first draft make sense. The second draft is where the story actually takes shape. It's about whittling out unnecessaries, honing in the voice, cleaning up the ending.

Once I have that second draft, that's when I edit. I run everything through Grammarly just because I obviously want to avoid any grammar howlers, then I re-format and go through with a fine-toothed comb and edit out bad dialogue, lame sentences, just anything that isn't 'wrong' but isn't good enough for the final cut. I usually edit a couple of times in separate sessions.

Whole process from start to finish takes at least a couple days, but no more than a week.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”