What if ...?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if ...?

What if ...?

I was talking with a friend about writing something together and saying we needed to get a basic plot idea first. He said "We could make it a 'what if?' story and then we wouldn't need a plot." I don't think that is quite true, but the plot can be something pretty basic. My first thought was of Day of the Triffids, 'What if almost everyone went blind?' After we had explored the other senses we moved on a bit and came up with some really good ones. I thought you might like to try it, can you come up with any good 'What if...?' scenarios?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

What if all humans were equal
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    I take it this is a fantasy novel concept.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I was thinking more of a religious novel approach...

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Well then the standard clothes sizes wouldn't fit any of us.

In my novel (Yes, my much overused phrase is still around!) I mentioned a domain that I called "Eventuality" where some people such as writers go to think "What if ...?" while others go there to sadly think "If only ..." A character visiting this domain with a colleague named it so because she said that it was the place that people refer to when they say "In the eventuality ..." It was a central feature of the allegorical aspect of the novel and a possible reason why I referred to the story as a fairy tale.

So, if you want to know what happens when you try to write a story about "What if ..." itself then maybe my novel is the answer. I have no other to offer.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

What if there were no clothes...some believe we had fur than she'd it ..an a tail...which would have made us crap at playing poker.. without clothes humans would never had discovered much ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I was talking with a friend about writing something together and saying we needed to get a basic plot idea first. He said "We could make it a 'what if?' story and then we wouldn't need a plot." I don't think that is quite true, but the plot can be something pretty basic. My first thought was of Day of the Triffids, 'What if almost everyone went blind?' After we had explored the other senses we moved on a bit and came up with some really good ones. I thought you might like to try it, can you come up with any good 'What if...?' scenarios?
    I remember reading, quite possibly on here, something along the lines of "all plots are what ifs". At first I didn't fully get it; to the idea of what if everyone was blind, my first thought to the above was well so what, then what happens? But then I realised it's about the change. What if everyone was normal-sighted and then went blind. That could be a plot. Lots and whys and wherefores spring from it.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

If everyone was already blind and had always been so... we'd be a very different bunch of people. Blind creatures have to depend on other senses and even sometimes develop senses we don't really have. We'd be more particular about the nuances of taste and touch, but especially on smell and sound, which are the long-range senses that give the most information to sightless creatures. Long-range senses are there own kind of precognition--giving awareness of something that one hasn't encountered yet.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Ooh! Ooh! I'll play!

What if a sea-captain became obsessed with killing a whale which had maimed him?

What if an old miser had the chance to see his effect on the lives of those in his past, present and future?

What if a man woke up one day and found he had been turned into an insect?
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

What if a young woman was slated to be the sultan's toy, after which she would be killed, but instead, beguiled him with 1,001 tales, and he eventually falls in love and marries her?
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast