Quiet Books or Stories

Thread: Quiet Books or Stories

Quiet Books or Stories

Hi,

I've been a member of the Forums for years, but until now, mostly with poetry. However, I have a novel forthcoming so I figure I'm on the way to becoming a novelist and I have a question you might be able to help me with.

I recently saw a quote on Pinterest which I thought to be from Hemmingway, which said something that praised the 'quiet book'. I believe I write 'quietly' but had never heard that term before. When I tried to Google it, a whole range of stuff came up about children's books. That's not what the quote intended as it was praising the quiet story vs those that have Big Characters/Current Events and Great Plots (so to speak).

Does anybody know anything about this? It would be useful if/when I have to start spruiking my book at author's readings and launches etc.

I'd also like to be part of this forum if that's ok.

TaniAliya
    aka Lindy
    Find me at Hidden Content

I haven't heard the term before, but it certainly conjured a more laid-back, slow-burn, literary sort of story. If you call it "quiet" and no one calls you on it, then "quiet" it is
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

No car chases, no fights, no gross emotion. I think of A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler, if you have not read it it is well worth it, only short, but very beautifully written.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Olly, I'm just downloading the book now. It's interesting that these sorts of novel - I wonder if a 'quiet' book is the same as an atmospheric one - which your recommendation sounds like to me is more suited to ice and snow. There's a wonderful Australian novel called Burial Rites by Hannah Kent that explores a real story of a woman accused of murder in ice and snow country...(memory fails

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    No car chases, no fights, no gross emotion. I think of A Whole Life by Robert Seethaler, if you have not read it it is well worth it, only short, but very beautifully written.

Could you at least post the quote so we have a little more to go on?

I think it means a focus on the little things, everyday struggles and triumphs. Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series comes to mind, as does Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy Tacy series, Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea, Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Some modern classics The Penderwicks by Birdsall, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Haddon, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein.

Sorry Ralph...the reason I did the post was that I have been unable to find the quote on Pinterest (which is where I first saw it) again. I've searched and searched in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Could you at least post the quote so we have a little more to go on?

Thanks Darrkin. I figured that too but wanted some clarity. Your list of books brought it into focus for me as you listed so many of my favourites!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    I think it means a focus on the little things, everyday struggles and triumphs. Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series comes to mind, as does Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy Tacy series, Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea, Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. Some modern classics The Penderwicks by Birdsall, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Haddon, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Stein.

I wonder if a "quiet" novel is the same thing as PG-rated you know, the kind of thing you could read to your grandchildren and not worry that you're corrupting their morals...

Thanks Shyla, for your suggestion. I recently started reading a book that I'd downloaded onto my iPad - I'd forgotten about it and wondered why the hell I'd downloaded it. So I read the blurb online and it told me that that particular book was quiet book, where a man goes about his ordinary business without the bells, bangs and whistles associated with, for example, blockbusters. Also without the current affairs 'issues' based novels that we are bombarded with nowadays. I take from this that a quiet book is one where life is examined in miniutae, subtly and in beautiful prose that doesn't announce how clever the writer is, but seduces the reader in the world being written about.