How to start and plot help

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start and plot help

How to start and plot help

I have a new idea I'm looking to get started not sure how to do that here is my synopsis

"The human mind can only take so much before it reaches the brink is madness.
    We live on an island of ignorance surrounded by a Black Sea blissfully unaware of the horrors around us. The ones that venture too far never return, their eyes are forever open, they have seen the unsee, heard the unheard yet we deem them mad for merely glimpsing the truth.

Mark Case head of Arkham historical society and professor of occult studies at Miskatonic University just happens to be one of those people.life was happy till an ill-fated book was delivered to him for analysis."

The idea behind the story is that the book makes you go mad. Mark asks his girlfriend who is a psychic for help, but what to stop her from seeing the future and telling him to just throw it away? Also if he's professor of the occult studies why does he need her? So then I figured I'd make him professor of literature but again same problem, she's going to see the future and tell him to throw it away. Have her being a psychic causes too much problems but she's the main character not him.
    even if I made her receives the book it's still the same problem I don't really know how to get away around this, any ideas?
    Thanks

Psychics always have limited abilities.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Perhaps it would help to define what a psychic is to you and how it applies to your character. Generally, psychic powers fall outside of science and it does not necessarily mean a person can clearly foresee events. Usually their predictions come from signs and feelings, and much like checking your horoscope, having received a reading from a psychic can cause you to alter your behavior and make decisions while you have your result in mind.

It's kind of confusing to break down whether or not having that influence is factored into a read or if your future will be changed because of choices you've made because you sought to fulfill or avoid a predicted occurrence. Though rarely does it mean much when all's said and done.

Just because your male character is a professor in occult studies does not mean he couldn't be skeptical of his girlfriend's powers. It could be a dynamic between them. Or perhaps they've had disagreements before about a project he enlisted her help for, so if she did simply tell him, "Hey, I've got a bad feeling about this, maybe you should just get rid of the book and move on," he might not listen to her. Maybe he'd feel like she's trying to sabotage his project or like she might come around work on it herself once he's passed it up.

You asked why he needs her, and maybe he didn't know he did. He could come home one day and set his things down for a couple minutes and she could come along and inspect the book simply trying to show interest in his work. If she's removed from his line of work and still gives him a warning or urges him to get rid of it then that'd be even more of a reason for him to dismiss her.

I guess it might come down to the dynamic between your partnered characters. The conflict born from any of these scenarios would not define their whole relationship per-say, and it could be resolved by the end. Hopefully I've provided a few new ideas to get your gears turning.

If you are having difficulty planning out and plotting the story, try doing so via an approach like the snowflake method for writing.
    Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Hidden Content First Novel & Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Read with hunger, write with joy, and live with passion."

have you tried mind mapping? I find that they can be a great way of coming up with ideas and may very well help you with plotting your story.

What is the snowflake method? What is mind mapping?

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    What is the snowflake method? What is mind mapping?
    A quick Google search will give you all the info about these you will ever want.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Croft View Post
    I have a new idea I'm looking to get started not sure how to do that here is my synopsis

"The human mind can only take so much before it reaches the brink is madness.
    We live on an island of ignorance surrounded by a Black Sea blissfully unaware of the horrors around us. The ones that venture too far never return, their eyes are forever open, they have seen the unsee, heard the unheard yet we deem them mad for merely glimpsing the truth.

Mark Case head of Arkham historical society and professor of occult studies at Miskatonic University just happens to be one of those people.life was happy till an ill-fated book was delivered to him for analysis."

The idea behind the story is that the book makes you go mad. Mark asks his girlfriend who is a psychic for help, but what to stop her from seeing the future and telling him to just throw it away? Also if he's professor of the occult studies why does he need her? So then I figured I'd make him professor of literature but again same problem, she's going to see the future and tell him to throw it away. Have her being a psychic causes too much problems but she's the main character not him.
    even if I made her receives the book it's still the same problem I don't really know how to get away around this, any ideas?
    Thanks

Bruce Campbell already did this story. It was the basis for Army of Darkness and the others in that universe. The book was the Necronomicon.

They say you should never judge a book by its cover...but if the book is bound in human skin, and filled with pure evil, you can reasonably judge that book without opening it.

Wasn't Arkham the asylum where the Joker lived?

Arkham is a town in the Lovecraft universe. And just because army of darkness used it doesn't make it the same story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast