An Update.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Update.

Blog Entries

An Update.

So I have up to my sixth chapter outlined so far which is great! Not to much detail given just a few sentences to get a rough Idea of what the chapter is about and the character's in it. So far so good. Can't wait to hit that last chapter at 27! What milestones have you'll hit recently?
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

I'm in editing phase right now. I'll be back to writing in a few days. Just tweaking a small 52k book.
    Then I am back to working on 2 books at a time.
    When those are done, I can go back to a book I shelved because I finally figured out how to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    So I have up to my sixth chapter outlined so far which is great! Not to much detail given just a few sentences to get a rough Idea of what the chapter is about and the character's in it. So far so good. Can't wait to hit that last chapter at 27! What milestones have you'll hit recently?
    Congrats, Rojack!

No milestones for me right now, I'm just waiting for my anthologies to come out.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I finished the draft in May. That's the milestone and it's quite wonderful to see it ever get finished.

Currently sweeping over for edits. Then to add Preface, Table of Contents, Glossary, About Author.

Blog Entries
    An update, so far I'm on chapter 12. I have to admit I'm a little scared at finally getting this story done but at the same time I'm excited! I've got 15 more chapters to go and that's a wrap on this story. I need to have a chart plotting out the next course for this series so I can have a roadmap as I go along.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    ...When those are done, I can go back to a book I shelved because I finally figured out how to write it.
    Isn't that a great feeling?

My major milestone is similar to Ralph's. A little backstory, first. These past two months have found me skimming over a manuscript I shelved (in '06? '07?) and thinking about how to solve the problems I created for myself that are in it. Hence, why I shelved it. At the time I finished it, all of my attempts to edit it just made it worse. But, I have written a lot since then. So now I'm thinking that I am ready to tackle it with the intent of publishing it. With this in mind, last week I rewrote the introduction, the first chapter, and part of chapter two. It's like I have this picture in my head of how to divide it (I originally wrote it without chapters) and how to navigate around some of those pitfalls that really hung me up all those years ago. But, that's not the milestone.

The milestone is, I have this amazing voice coming out of this rewrite and I have no idea where it came from. Now, setting something aside to incubate for 10+ years is not the most productive way to approach anything, so I'm not suggesting anyone should follow my lead in this! It's just, I have never produced anything with such a strong and clear voice as this. Sure, this is how I would like to write, but it's not how I write. I feel like I have a real person on the page, a person who is more sure of herself and more competent at story-telling than I will ever be.

Actually, it's quite intimidating. I set down my laptop and walked away.

(I'm really not sure how to handle this. But I think it could be the start of a good milestone.)
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Similar to Ralph and Megan.

Finally started adding onto Pinocchio after 5.5 years of hiatus. I knew about where I wanted to go but couldn't get the characters to do anything. Somebody finally moved two days ago. Now, if I can just keep them moving. A non-POV character is doing all the serious feeling at the moment, and she's making everything difficult because she's so overwhelmed and can't seem to think straight or articulate anything. Neither of the men in the scene is terribly coherent--one's doped on morphine, having nearly died from dehydration, blood loss and starvation in the previous chapter. The other man's the POV, but he's caught between the other two and is waiting for his wife to do figure out what she's going to do. The baby's thinking clearly enough, but he's a baby--though I have used him to break up the silence between the adults and get them to do stuff. He's become a turf war, a hill to die on, for the adults, who are all kind of fighting over and for him at the moment. It's a really weird scene. I'll get through it somehow.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Similar to Ralph and Megan.

Finally started adding onto Pinocchio after 5.5 years of hiatus. I knew about where I wanted to go but couldn't get the characters to do anything. Somebody finally moved two days ago. Now, if I can just keep them moving. A non-POV character is doing all the serious feeling at the moment, and she's making everything difficult because she's so overwhelmed and can't seem to think straight or articulate anything. Neither of the men in the scene is terribly coherent--one's doped on morphine, having nearly died from dehydration, blood loss and starvation in the previous chapter. The other man's the POV, but he's caught between the other two and is waiting for his wife to do figure out what she's going to do. The baby's thinking clearly enough, but he's a baby--though I have used him to break up the silence between the adults and get them to do stuff. He's become a turf war, a hill to die on, for the adults, who are all kind of fighting over and for him at the moment. It's a really weird scene. I'll get through it somehow.
    I really can't wait to read this. It sounds so complex and intricate. A small update this time, currently on chapter 21. Yay!

Megan: If you put that book down 13 years ago, you may wanna rewrite it entirely.
    The reason is that your writing has likely evolved significantly since then.
    You could edit the tar out of it...but at some point it is like installing a 12 cylinder engine in a Pinto.
    The book could end up looking like Frankenstein's monster.

Most likely your writing is much better now than then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I really can't wait to read this. It sounds so complex and intricate. A small update this time, currently on chapter 21. Yay!
    Super happy you've made it to 21!

I don't think Pinocchio's going to be up your alley at all, as much as it pains me to say that. This thing isn't up anybody's alley. Also, it could very well be a traumatic thing for you, and I don't want to put you through that. Intricate doesn't mean pleasant, and some things that seem pleasant aren't.

Here's a quote from a post I made stupid early this morning after trying to write because I couldn't sleep:
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    I'm so glad I got back into the forum. This project isn't something that I can really discuss with anyone else, and that's part of why it's so difficult for me. But, thanks to interactions here, I have been able to understand what's really going on in it, and that's helped me get back into the project and add anything at all to it after years of hiatus. I'm especially indebted to Aquilo for the horror comment. Pinocchio isn't erotica or erotic romance--it's a cosmic horror cloaked in the skins of erotic romance. I was so paralyzed by feeling like I had to write the nastiest sex scenes as erotic in nature that I'd missed what it was really about. I'd known for a while that Pinocchio was deeply troubled person who functioned as both a cautionary tale on genetic engineering and child abuse (the literal and figurative making of a monster), and as a metaphor for puberty itself (particularly for a sex-abused youth who is terrified of change).

Kind of worried I'm going to wind up with a sprawling mass of thematic craziness/grandeur that doesn't have a clear climax or work well as a story. POV is rarely active in forging his own destiny--he's basically an innocent blank slate child/man who is seduced/molested/raped on about every level a person can be--and by people he believes love him. I've inadvertently stuck the reader and character into the position of a trusting child, abused them and convinced them (at least partway) that they enjoy this abuse. The whole story boils down to how child abuse changes someone--makes them reevaluate everything about the perpetrator, the event and themselves--their identity, what they really want, who they love, what they like, their sexual orientation and preferences, how they remember events, how they feel, what they remember or forget, what reality even is, who they are, if they deserved this, what love is, what abuse is, what rape is, what consent is... it's never-ending
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast