How to find clients for ghostwriting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find clients for ghostwriting?

Ghostwriting is a dying industry.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, some of us could help revitalize it.
    Last edited by Ken11; July 4th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.

Is it? Who writes all those politician and celebrity books then? I can't believe they're writing them themselves.

Haunting, isn't it?
    Funnily enough, I did some ghostwriting a while back. It wasn't with a view to getting published. The person I did it for was an acquaintance and it was just a couple of short chapters to have some writing practice.

I don't think ghostwriting is dying out, at least not in my niche. Probably there is some variance according to your genre and audience and clientele you are targeting. I write a lot of religious, nonfiction, academic type work (I am a PhD student) and I have way more clients than I can handle. Something that has been very helpful for me has been finding cross-cultural clients. For example, I had some ghostwriting projects with a Pakistani who is a content expert in a particular area of theology. As a cultural Pakistani living in London, he has retained his oral communication preference and has a wealth of information he can communicate verbally. If you give him a keyboard and ask him to write it all down, however, he's paralyzed. I've also co-authored academic articles with Brazilian content experts who don't write well in English and online religious content for German, Korean, and Lebanese clients. But I'm quite well established in a very specific niche and this is probably what helps me get a lot of jobs. I find that the religious niche is underrepresented by writers, but it's not easy to just break into the market without experiencing it personally. I am a deeply religious person, so it's a natural fit for me. If you are religious you might check for clients in this market.

That's a bold statement to make. As long as there is a celebrity or other public figure with a story to tell, there is a ghostwriter to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Chris View Post
    That's a bold statement to make. As long as there is a celebrity or other public figure with a story to tell, there is a ghostwriter to go along with it.
    I may be wrong but I suspect it was an attempt at humour.

Blog Entries
    One of my writer friends did a bunch of ghostwriting gigs way back when. It seems like a low reward occupation, at least based on what he was paid. He earned as much money writing a book as I earned writing 10 articles. Thatís a difference of ~75k vs 10k words for the same amount of money.

That being said, you can readily find ghostwriting gigs advertised on Craigslist óbut as I said, donít expect much money. I saw one recently that offered $100 for every 10,000 words, what a joke.

Call the big names in modern fiction. Youíre bound to find one.

(Thatís a joke. Kind of.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast