Toxic Masculinity - Page 6

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Toxic Masculinity

Quote Originally Posted by CyberWar View Post
    That's certainly something I can agree with as well.

Back to the original topic, "toxic masculinity" (I am still hesitant to use this term as it is loaded and frequently abused by ideological extremists, hence the quotes) as it is currently understood in the West is a fairly recent phenomenon in my country, and perhaps not quite as pronounced (or at least obvious), seeing how people in my parts are generally more old-fashioned than in the West where it comes to gender relations. For all their lip-service to social progress, Soviet society was generally quite conservative where it came to family matters and gender roles (at least by Western standards), and was generally more community-minded than people are today. Which on the average meant less douchebags treating women disrespectfully without repercussion, at least openly. While things like domestic abuse were more common than today, it was not for a lack of right to complain, but rather for a lack of complaint that they were usually overlooked - apparently women were simply too accustomed to the idea that unwarranted abuse was to be tolerated. That being said, a man who disrespectfully treated a woman in public, however, could expect to be stood up against even by random bystanders back when I was a kid, which is no longer the case today.

The media in my childhood (spanning both Soviet and early post-Soviet days) was likewise adamant about how proper men should conduct themselves. Books and magazines dedicated to young men would exemplify the desired kinds of behaviour, and consistently encourage young men to be polite and respectful especially towards women and elders. Then came the Western media with no set rights or wrongs, but even so, it was at first the old 1960's-era TV shows and movies (which was probably a golden opportunity for Yanks to sell twice), which still demonstrated relatively conservative and traditional attitudes towards masculinity, of how men should conduct themselves. Now, anyone here who's read my posts into any detail would know that I have very few kind words about the Communists to say, but I think that is one thing they did get right.

I never had a father myself, and my single mom was too busy working her ass off to provide for the family to give me much instruction. I was raised mostly by my grandmother and intimately acquainted with the views and values of her (Interwar) generation, but for most part I had to figure out what it means to be a man all by myself. Thankfully, I happened to have good examples, at least for most part. Many other lads of my age were not that lucky, but even so, their toxic attitudes only became tolerated fairly recently, with the proliferation of "none of your fucking business" attitudes in broader society.

In a way, I think the old Soviet-style education of males did espouse attitudes that would be considered "toxic" these days, such as the usual "boys don't cry". At the same time, it did maintain a consistent narrative on how women, weaker folk and elders should be treated, and consistently strived to instill boys with the positive aspects of masculinity. I don't know if it was the general hardship of the era that brought people to treating each other with more courtesy and decency on average than today, or the education, but I can certainly tell the differerence between then and now.
    I see you're pretty strong-headed about your opinions but I think you should keep scope for yourself to accept new ideas. Also, you are pretty contradictory. You don't get how toxicity is associated with a general characteristic of a human being yet you understand what "men-hating feminazis" are. You don't get how masculinity can be toxic but you pretty well define "manly" behaviour as if they need more light on them. To just acknowledge and understand this point of view, you just need to step into our shoes, and look around. Read the stats, watch the news. It's not an accusation, it's more of a cry for help. I respect your ideas.But, just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it unrealistic.
    For more reads, please have a look at my blog: Hidden Content

Have a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by notsocordial View Post
    I see you're pretty strong-headed about your opinions but I think you should keep scope for yourself to accept new ideas. Also, you are pretty contradictory. You don't get how toxicity is associated with a general characteristic of a human being yet you understand what "men-hating feminazis" are. You don't get how masculinity can be toxic but you pretty well define "manly" behaviour as if they need more light on them. To just acknowledge and understand this point of view, you just need to step into our shoes, and look around. Read the stats, watch the news. It's not an accusation, it's more of a cry for help. I respect your ideas.But, just because you don't understand something, doesn't make it unrealistic.

It took many years for astronomers to figure out the Milky Way is a spiral galaxy.
    Why?
    Because it's hard to tell the shape of a thing from the inside.

Coming from my obviously-the-center-of-the-universe perspective the current focus on the term seems as bright as the Milky Way on a desert night, but then I'm not from someplace else in this much bigger world.

Decline of western civilization... Gandhi was once asked what he thought of western civilization to which he replied, "I think it would be a good idea."

LOL
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Decline of western civilization... Gandhi was once asked what he thought of western civilization to which he replied, "I think it would be a good idea."

LOL
    Feh, were it not for Western civilization and British colonialism, Gandhi would have been just another unwashed hippie among millions of others like him. He owes his very existence as a prominent public figure to the West.

Temper tantrums are an example: "She doesent love me anymore so I'm going to kill her, her mother, her dog, her co-workers..."

I used to live in a small town in Tennessee. A man had visitation with his three young children, so on his weekend, he took them out to a movie, then McDonald's. After which, he took them home, and one by one, took them behind his shop and executed them. Then he calmly walked into the sheriff's department where I was a deputy at the time, and told the dispatcher that he'd killed his children. They executed him a few years later, at his request. It fell to us to process the crime scene and collect those poor babies...
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Is this thread designed to get some constructive criticism on the written piece, or to foster a political diatribe?

The former is fine; the latter, I'm afraid, is against the rules.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

/\ You varmints! The Sheriff is back...

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456