Websites - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Websites

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    Apparently, in the free version, once you pick a theme, you're stuck with that theme. I wanted simple & minimalistic but I got font emphasis I don't like & an annoying picture I can't get rid of. (I liked it when I picked it out, like, 4 years ago?)
    This confuses me, as I've been on Wordpress since around 2005 or so and have changed themes several times without much fuss. There are always little styling oddities that don't translate from one theme to another, but it's usually nothing that can't be fixed.

Wordpress started as a blogging tool, but it's way beyond that now. You can choose to include a blog or not with your WP site.

Also, as far as I know, there is only the free version. You can sign up for site hosting at Wordpress.com, but that's just a paid hosting platform with Wordpress built-in (and I don't think you get to use your own domain name).

To be clear, I'm not a Wordpress sponsor, just someone who uses it and likes it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    This confuses me, as I've been on Wordpress since around 2005 or so and have changed themes several times without much fuss. There are always little styling oddities that don't translate from one theme to another, but it's usually nothing that can't be fixed.

Wordpress started as a blogging tool, but it's way beyond that now. You can choose to include a blog or not with your WP site.

Also, as far as I know, there is only the free version. You can sign up for site hosting at Wordpress.com, but that's just a paid hosting platform with Wordpress built-in (and I don't think you get to use your own domain name).

To be clear, I'm not a Wordpress sponsor, just someone who uses it and likes it.
    Awesome to know--although I recall having an upgrade option. (Non-tech-savvy computer user here, muddling very slowly into the 21st century. Give me M.S. Office & I can do amazing things, but I actually read a book on blogging & what was out there before I chose a platform!)

Actually, I have no idea what I have anymore. If it includes free site hosting as well, then maybe I should go back and look into it for my business.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    On Wordpress.com you can get your own domain name as well, but when you choose a domain name it comes with a relatively small fee, so it's not free anymore.
    And yes, you have the choice between a number of themes.

Wordpress.org of course offers the most freedom and adaptability, but for writers who only wish to publish their work, have people subscribe to their site, and gain followers, the free version on Wordpress.com will do fine. You'll find out soon enough whether .com is too limited for you, and then you can add, change, pay for more and so on.
    Hidden Content
    Follow Flashes on...Hidden Content ...Hidden Content ...Hidden Content
    (we even allow simultaneous submissions!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123