Is ths good or bad

Thread: Is ths good or bad

Is ths good or bad

I received two like this. Is this a good or bad rejection. They don't say resubmit just sorry we didn't have the time.

Dear Jeffrey Yorio,

Thank you for sending us your flash fiction story, "Phase II". We appreciate the chance to consider it. Unfortunately, we're overwhelmed with submissions at the moment, and we've held onto this one longer than we should have, so we're regretfully declining it to give you a chance to try it elsewhere.

Apologies for the length of time we've held onto this story this is our loss for not getting to your story more quickly. Best of luck placing your story elsewhere.

Sincerely,
    all of us at Every Day Fiction
    http://www.everydayfiction.com/
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

There's no such thing as good or bad rejection. There's only rejection, plain and simple. Why dwell on it? So you can second guess yourself and quit?

I don't think Every Day Fiction would be lying to spare your feelings. I received a rejection from them for one story two months ago and then they took one of my flash pieces recently and were all about it.

I'd say the vast majority of the time rejection is as much about stuff not fitting with what the editor is looking for rather than a value judgment on the story. Either way, you'll never know. Fuggedaboudit.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

It means that they have an enormous slush pit, and no one to read it. Very likely they are throwing a lot out, or changing their process for accepting stuff (filtered by agents first...?)

With queries, just send out ten at a time, and don't look back.
    Don't waste your time with fancy tracking spreadsheets, just keep of track of which ones you have already sent which pieces to.
    Some never respond.
    Some never read the stuff.
    Some don't actually get stuff from the slush pile unless they are totally out of agented stuff. The slushpile is just there in case...

Make each query custom to their requirements, but never look back. It's a waste of emotional energy and will deter you from writing. Rejections really harsh your buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    It means that they have an enormous slush pit, and no one to read it. Very likely they are throwing a lot out, or changing their process for accepting stuff (filtered by agents first...?)

With queries, just send out ten at a time, and don't look back.
    Don't waste your time with fancy tracking spreadsheets, just keep of track of which ones you have already sent which pieces to.
    Some never respond.
    Some never read the stuff.
    Some don't actually get stuff from the slush pile unless they are totally out of agented stuff. The slushpile is just there in case...

Make each query custom to their requirements, but never look back. It's a waste of emotional energy and will deter you from writing. Rejections really harsh your buzz.
    Pelwrath,

I wasn't going to mention this but to follow up on Ralph I went back and looked because I actually got a flash piece accepted by EDF a couple weeks back.

I actually submitted two stories more or less simultaneously. The first got rejected - didn't get a nice note like you did. The second got accepted. It was based on the LM piece I submitted here for last month if you want to go take a read of it. I will say I did revise that story a LOT but maybe reading that will help you get an idea of what they are looking for.

I also got the following in the acceptance email which might shed some light "We are making some changes with our editorial team; please let us know as soon as possible if you wish to make any changes to your story based on that feedback. Simple, easily explained changes (e.g., replace x with y) may be made via Submittable..."

So might be that simple. It's definitely not a bad rejection either way.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

Hi, I got the same rejection from Every Day Fiction. I think it's the form that they send when they've been considering your piece for a bit longer than the usual response time. Slightly better than a form rejection, I guess.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Thank you all. I know rejections are common but was hoping that it wasn’t a don’t call us and we won’t call you type. I should post the stories for feedback. On lunch at work now.
    "Illegitimi non carborundum " Vinegar' Joe Stilwell

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." Martin Luther King Jr.

What you learn in life is important, those you help learn, are more important.

"They can because they think they can."
    ​Virgil

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools will speak to say something." Plato

"The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible."
    ​ Mark Twain

"To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, can be president of the United States." George W. Bush

Rejections are cumulative.
    Individually they are harmless.
    But after a few hundred, their negativity can really detract from the writing.
    It is for this reason that I suggest not looking back.
    Shed that emotional baggage; the only replies to pay any attention to are the acceptance letters.
    The rest will just harsh your buzz and make you gun-shy when you write.