Fantasy Races Stereotypes of Earth Nations Humans

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Races Stereotypes of Earth Nations Humans

Fantasy Races Stereotypes of Earth Nations Humans

Hi I'm working a Dark Fantasy with some Historical touches setting about a Human sized Dark Lord, the timeframe is the Renaissance and Magic for the most part is gone what's left is hoarded.

My problem is that most Fantasy Races that includes Tolkien's seem to based on some type of Earth National stereotypes, I'm trying not to be Racist but how can one not be when dealing Fantasy Races.

Halfings: The Irish, for good or ill this all started with Tolkien's Hobbits. They are shown in Middle Earth setting to lovers of Food, Drink and Nature and Pipe Smoking. This seems to be the Irish for good or ill. The Hobbit's Tech Level also reflects Agrariaism of Tolkien

Dwarves: Scots, the Dwarves seem to be compared to these people, due to there love of coin, hard nosed trading and skill with metal and mining.

Elves: French, The Elven race seems to be is compared to the French due to there Haughty view on the world compared to there Race and thinking that most other Races are lesser to them.

Dark Lord's Human Race:

I'm basing his Human Race on the Slavic and Hungarian people and culture, my Dark Lord is going to be the First Tsar of this setting like Ivan IV,

LW

I think that not relying on stereotypes and being respectful is important. Nothing's wrong with modeling fantasy races after real races. Depending on how closely you model after a specific race, you might have to do some research. Talking to somebody of the race/ethnicity that your characters are based off of would also maybe be helpful. Just an amateur's opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Hi I'm working a Dark Fantasy with some Historical touches setting about a Human sized Dark Lord, the timeframe is the Renaissance and Magic for the most part is gone what's left is hoarded.

My problem is that most Fantasy Races that includes Tolkien's seem to based on some type of Earth National stereotypes, I'm trying not to be Racist but how can one not be when dealing Fantasy Races.

Halfings: The Irish, for good or ill this all started with Tolkien's Hobbits. They are shown in Middle Earth setting to lovers of Food, Drink and Nature and Pipe Smoking. This seems to be the Irish for good or ill. The Hobbit's Tech Level also reflects Agrariaism of Tolkien

Dwarves: Scots, the Dwarves seem to be compared to these people, due to there love of coin, hard nosed trading and skill with metal and mining.

Elves: French, The Elven race seems to be is compared to the French due to there Haughty view on the world compared to there Race and thinking that most other Races are lesser to them.

Dark Lord's Human Race:

I'm basing his Human Race on the Slavic and Hungarian people and culture, my Dark Lord is going to be the First Tsar of this setting like Ivan IV,

LW

So, you're taking a bunch of overused fantasy species like elves, dwarves, etc and adding some half-baked ethno-nationalist xenophobia to the mix, cleverly ignoring of course the overwhelming majority of the world's population which is not from Europe, and naturally making sure that the bad guys are all Russian like they are in old Bond movies?

This sounds great, lwhitehead. Really original, and definitely in keeping with where modern literature is headed. I can't wait to read it.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Have to disagree with you on almost all fronts with regards to Tolkien's races, except for maybe the halflings. Elves especially seem hardly comparable to the French at all. I agree with the Agrarianism though. Besides that, I'm not sure what you're asking. Just don't use clumsy stereotypes, I guess. Do some research before you write about a specific people group.
    So, you're taking a bunch of overused fantasy species like elves, dwarves, etc and adding some half-baked ethno-nationalist xenophobia to the mix, cleverly ignoring of course the overwhelming majority of the world's population which is not from Europe, and naturally making sure that the bad guys are all Russian like they are in old Bond movies?
    This post is intensely schizophrenic.
    Dead by Dawn!

I'm trying to avoid the Music Hall Stereotypes, I'm also trying not to Write Epic Pooh as well.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    I'm trying to avoid the Music Hall Stereotypes, I'm also trying not to Write Epic Pooh as well.
    Definitely nothing that sounds stereotypical here. As someone with both French and Irish background, I personally love being haughty while I smoke my pipe.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

First off my Slavic, Hungraian, and Ukraine Human and Orcs like Races are Different not Evil, they may have bin painted Evil by the Good Races. which also in my view aren't so Goody as they propaganda protrays them.

I like the Idea of making my Halflings Italian have your heard the term Divorce Italian style,

LW

Blog Entries
    My first Mr. Badguy is a white, anglo-saxon, middle-class high achiever; think American Psycho in fantasy dragonland, and his protege - my second - is a young fellow who incurred a head injury as a child, leaving him with a learning disability for which he was bullied in school (this coupled with the acquisition of some degree of power is, to me, a powder keg of villainousness - though I make him sympathetic in the end, sort of). Meanwhile my goodie is on her way to fulfilling the Dark Lord destiny, and the prophecy is revealed as a piece of sensationalist journalism. I dunno. One thing I always wanted though was a fairly ... cosmopolitan world. There is no notion of race X lives among the trees, race Y dwell below the mountains, though these landscapes do exist and there are populations that have grown up around them. But people have moved about. Diasporas, migration, and socio-economic pressures are a real thing. So maybe think about that. What would the elves be like if, say, their woodland home got flooded by a powerful street narcotic? What would the dwarves do when the pits are all closed down? Just food for thought Hope it helps
    Last edited by bdcharles; June 14th, 2019 at 10:17 AM.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    My first Mr. Badguy is a white, anglo-saxon, middle-class high achiever; think American Psycho in fantasy dragonland, and his protege - my second - is a young fellow who incurred a head injury as a child, leaving him with a learning disability for which he was bullied in school (this coupled with the acquisition of some degree of power is, to me, a powder keg of villainousness - though I make him sympathetic in the end, sort of). Meanwhile my goodie is on her way to fulfilling the Dark Lord destiny, and the prophecy is revealed as a piece of sensationalist journalism. I dunno. One thing I always wanted though was a fairly ... cosmopolitan world. There is no notion of race X lives among the trees, race Y dwell below the mountains, though these landscapes do exist and there are populations that have grown up around them. But people have moved about. Diasporas, migration, and socio-economic pressures are a real thing. So maybe think about that. What would the elves be like if, say, their woodland home got flooded by a powerful street narcotic? What would the dwarves do when the pits are all closed down? Just food for thought Hope it helps
    Yes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one to realize this! Just because your story is set in a fantasy world dosent mean that your race's have to all live in one area. Shoot have an elf that lives in a cave or out in the middle of the ocean! Food for thought.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Blog Entries
    So… you're saying Tolkien was a racist?

It's interesting to me how in the current atmosphere of super-wokeness the latest fad is to project our super-hyper-sensitivities onto dead people. Why do we do this? Are we so bereft of confidence in our selves that the only way we can feel good is to pretend we're better than everyone who came before? Are we so afraid of giving offense that we have to hyper analyze every character trait in order to avoid the Two Minutes of Hate by the mob?

I apologize, lwhitehead. I'm not picking on you per se, just ranting about the times we live in which such insipid projections into the past are acceptable.

Make your creatures however you want. Don't worry about causing offense because no matter how you try to avoid it, someone will be offended. Don't apologize for it. Don't wallow in guilt about it. Don't even acknowledge it (it gives the complainers oxygen). Just, for God's sake, make it interesting.

Then again, I'm a curmudgeon. I don't give a rat's ass about people's feelings or pretend offenses.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast