on vagueness of superheroes - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: on vagueness of superheroes

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Is a superhero just more of a hero than a hero regardless of having any superpowers? In fact is someone acting the hero by using their superpower less of a hero than a real hero who acts despite having no superpower? I don't see the term "superhero" as just being a shortened form of "superpowered hero" but if it is then they are in my estimation lower in rank than conventional heroes whereas I would expect a superhero to be higher. If a person who runs five miles to get help is considered to be a hero then one who does it in a wheelchair is surely a superhero.

Bear in mind the poignant words of the 93 year old D-day veteran Harry Billinge who recently said on TV "I'm no hero, I was lucky. I'm here. All the heroes are dead." What's heroic about being invulnerable (and probably smug about it too) then?
    Mumen Rider! Go watch One Punch Man! The first season is a fantastic parody of superheroes and really examines this difference between "hero" and "superhero".

Here's the scene that most illustrated the difference for me. Mumen Rider is a low-ranked C-class hero with no superpowers--just a dude on a bicycle. The monster "Deep Sea King" has already taken out A & S class heroes, has destroyed large swaths of the city. The bald guy at the end is the titular "One Punch Man" who can destroy every monster in one hit.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Not to get into a lore battle here, but Gandalf isn't human at all. He's a totally different race of critter but just looks human. Wizards aren't human in LOTR, so he's superhuman. He's closer to an angel than human.
    My bad. I just like to admit when I'm wrong. I completely forgot about that. Maybe Gandalf is a superhero after all?

For that analogy in my original post to work I think you can replace Gandalf and LOTR with Harry Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by candicame View Post
    My bad. I just like to admit when I'm wrong. I completely forgot about that. Maybe Gandalf is a superhero after all?

For that analogy in my original post to work I think you can replace Gandalf and LOTR with Harry Potter.
    The Dumbledore vs Gandalf fight!

(just as a funny aside, I had to explain Mudbloods vs Muggles to my son today)
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    This could be used as fuel for my argument that it's time to separate science-fiction and fantasy. Sever the cord between them, permanently.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MzSnowleopard View Post
    This could be used as fuel for my argument that it's time to separate science-fiction and fantasy. Sever the cord between them, permanently.
    Can't happen because there's already science-fantasy.

Elves!...

In!...

Space! (....space!...space!)
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

I think the connection is too strong for that ever to happen. Fantasy borrows a lot from mythology which in turn arose from speculation about phenomena that the science of the day didn't explain. Science fiction is often speculation about future developments and if these happen to provide explanations for existing myths then the permanence of the connection is inevitable.

The frontispiece page to my novel implied that there was a fairy tale element to it whereas it appeared to be predominantly science fiction. Much later in the story parallels between the fictional science and myths about fairies are revealed, suggesting that the unusual scientific phenomena explored there might actually have given rise to these myths in the past.

There's little difference between past stories of abduction by fairies and present ones about abduction by aliens. The way that people describe their experiences is as much a result of their own culture as of the actual experiences. Fantasy and science fiction are often just the same stories written using different vocabularies, so even crossovers between the two are possible. The apparently mythical teleporting dragons on Pern in Anne McCaffrey's books were eventually revealed to have been genetically engineered by humans, but then she was actually a science fiction writer cloaking her stories in a convincing medieval fantasy setting. The blurring of this boundary in literature is as inevitable as it is in real life.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, cross-overs... Which was is Pierce Anthony's Apprentice Adept or something like that. A robot from a science fiction realm crosses over to a world of high fantasy?
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Student @ Hidden Content

sorry about being late to my own thread but I was thinking about the question in a popular culture context. it seems most people make a distinction but the definition the common folk goes by seems to include anyone who has abilities that are abnormal or above and beyond the norm and are a hero but wouldn't this definition make anyone of said description a super hero thus making every genre the super hero genre.. thus making nothing the super hero genre in the end.. there must be a more defining feature than hero with powers or there is no such genre due to it becoming all encompassing. I say this full well knowing the quote... "when everybody is something, no one is said thing." I'm paraphrase in the end. I do remember that dc and marvel characters are written to be admirable.. not relatable.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Blog Entries
    No one is a hero until they step up to do the right thing, powers or not.
    Student @ Hidden Content

No one is a hero until they step up to do the right thing, powers or not.
    true.. but just because they do that and have super powers doesn't make them a super hero. this would mkethe super hero genre virtualy everything and thus nothing.

p.s. my real problem is why have a genre distinction when you are bassing it off such loss terms....
    Last edited by kunox; August 4th, 2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: clarifying.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12