Laughing innapropriately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laughing innapropriately

Laughing innapropriately

Hello what's the word for .... when John laughs because of the unexpected situation he finds himself in. Its inappropriate to be laughing to himself but he does. He's in say mortal danger but he laughs because it's the last place he thought he'd be right now.

What's a word / phrase to describe that please?

I'd like to know that, myself. When I've been in firefights, a buddy of mine said that I started laughing, even while firing back and knowing I could take a round through the head at any moment. I don't know for sure, but I think it's just a nervous reaction... It has nothing to do with laughing at something humorous. This is similar to the way people sometimes have to resist busting into laughter at funerals...
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

"Nervous laughter", I might call it?

I have a word I made up: Hyena’d.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Harper J. Cole View Post
    Why not, the rest of the world does...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Harper J. Cole View Post
    In the case I'm describing the person is in danger but not scared. Not nervous but such a chilled out character that he'll just confront the situation .... a fight.

So not a nervous laughter. Just laughing because he has to fight. He's not a fighter but so chilled he'll fight and laughs to himself

What about IRRATIONAL LAUGHTER??

Or

FACETIOUS LAUGHTER

Or LAUGHING FACETIOUSLY ??
    Last edited by Hero; June 5th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

If he's the hero and has things well in-hand, why not have him laughing in derision?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    If he's the hero and has things well in-hand, why not have him laughing in derision?
    Laughing in disbelief

Is that what you meant? That works for me. Thank you

No... Unless he's taken aback by the numbers of the enemy, maybe. If he's laughing in derision, he's laughing at the enemy as he mows them down. He's laughing because he's thinking, "Sorry bastards! Now you're DEAD!! NEXT!?"

Disbelief and derision are totally different. He could be laughing sardonically.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    No... Unless he's taken aback by the numbers of the enemy, maybe. If he's laughing in derision, he's laughing at the enemy as he mows them down. He's laughing because he's thinking, "Sorry bastards! Now you're DEAD!! NEXT!?"

Disbelief and derision are totally different. He could be laughing sardonically.
    I stumbled upon the word DISBELIEF while searching the meaning of the word DERISION.

The hero in this case is taken aback by the number of enemy he must fight. So I used DISBELIEF .

Laughing in disbelief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast