Laughing innapropriately - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laughing innapropriately

Cool. Good luck.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Hello what's the word for .... when John laughs because of the unexpected situation he finds himself in. Its inappropriate to be laughing to himself but he does. He's in say mortal danger but he laughs because it's the last place he thought he'd be right now.

What's a word / phrase to describe that please?

You could have nervous laughter, like toilet-mouth (just keeps running)
    You could have maniacal laughter if they realized they were in an impossible situation, with no way out alive.
    Wanton abandon is always something to describe someone who has lost it.
    psychotic chattering.
    Empty headed laugh
    laughs like a bobblehead.
    empty-vacuous laugh

Adrenalin-fuelled laughter, maybe?
    My novels Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

Hidden Content Hidden Content

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Hello what's the word for .... when John laughs because of the unexpected situation he finds himself in. Its inappropriate to be laughing to himself but he does. He's in say mortal danger but he laughs because it's the last place he thought he'd be right now.

What's a word / phrase to describe that please?
    Try for an image or simile that has the rioght voice, eg: "He laughed, though it made no sense to do so, and though he was in mortal danger - a real killer-clown-at-a-kids-do laugh. Already he felt able to handle things." (or whatever your tone of the piece is)

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    hehehe... there is actually a test out there for diagnosing pseudobublar affect, a mental health condition marked by innappropriate outbursts of laughter. Maybe John has such condition?

Then again, a lot of people laugh out loud when under stress. "Nervous laughter" is a coping mechanism without a fancy name.

But, that was already suggested.

hehehe...
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?
    I love this!
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I remember very vaguely when Barack Obama came into office many years ago, he laughed inappropriately during a speech.

The news reporters discussed this and gave a name for laughing inappropriately.

I cant find it on internet. Doubt anyone remembers it but thought I'd just put it out there

Remember this episode from the Mary Tyler Moore Show?

https://youtu.be/TJny78bpsgo

"untimely laughter"
    "she laughed when she should have been crying"
    "instead of replying with some profound and sagacious phrase that would set them all at ease, he broke into a storm of hysterical laughter"

Just a couple of possibilities.

The only word I could think of that would negate the usage of "laugh" at all, while still meaning a nervous laugh would be titter. Otherwise you'll probably have to use another closely related word, or if you're willing to spruce up the word laugh you could use phrases like...*-ly adverb* laughed" or "laughed *-ly adverb,*" as in: nervously laughed / laughed nervously.
    Or... "*noun*-*-ed verb* laughter," as in: nervousness-fueled laughter.
    Or... "*adjective* laughter," as in: nervous laughter.
    Or if you want to get creative you could come up with a simile, "laughed like..." as in... "he laughed like he'd just seen his famously strange uncle pull a raw minnow from his pocket and stroke it as their cashier stood stoic, probably wondering what he did to deserve this." (You probably shouldn't use my exact example, but by all means if it really is relevant to your story go ahead.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12