Shards of a Glass Rabbit

Thread: Shards of a Glass Rabbit

Shards of a Glass Rabbit

Last edited by Darkkin; September 4th, 2019 at 12:53 AM.

Hello The story described in this is very vivid, I can see the scene clearly. I especially liked your use of the word "bones", as it's not something I would normally attribute to a trinket but my brain accepts it immediately. I only wonder what the emotional significance of this rabbit is. At times its described as a promise and then its described as wretched. I imagine perhaps, it's a remembrance of something bittersweet?

This was another great piece Darkkin. It begun, to me, like a decimation of an being crafted in glass- fragile yet wondrous to behold, followed by a conceptualization of that with human characters and a shrill hush. When the rabbit is borne together again, carefully and methodically, it becomes the embodiment of something new- facilitated by your great prowess of majestic lines. Crafted again with callused hands, a promise becomes renewed (but not of the same type) creating something new out of the shards of a now broken past. Something is created, but as you mentioned, "...to form the odd what, not the who". You create, in your final stanza, an image of monolithic stature that, although cracked at the core, watches over the mystery of the "Bleak Tide Atoll."

Fabulous work, Darkkin. I really liked this one.

Darkkin,

What a surprise! When I started reading I thought it was something that really happened. So you glued together the pieces, the rabbit was whole again and that was it.

But no. You introduced the "she" Legacy of her past. Then I saw and understood clearly the regret, the wish to start anew, the slow and difficult repair-process of a broken relation. The rabbit watching over the fragile, but healed reunion, on the Bleak Tide Atoll is superb.

I do not think you could change anything to make this poem better. Thanks for sharing.

as always, I love reading your poems Darkkin, and as always i find there is little for me to say - you have your unique style and you appear to be getting stronger and stronger with how you use that style to enthrall me with your poems.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Shards of a Glass Rabbit

Top o’er toes, a shattering fall
    pieces scattered, the whole—
    broken, no longer part of all.

Godawful silence, a sudden hush.
    No space for echoes, only shards,
    bones broken by a swung brush.

Raw edges, those biting shards
    lay eager to slice, to nip, to snip
    hands with callouses worn hard.

Deft touches, patience, some glue—
    blood taken, soft, muttered curses
    as fingers persist, promises renewed.

Shards, splinters, a puzzle of glass.
    Ears, toes, the medicine bottle eyes,
    wretched rabbit, legacy of her past.

Hints of rust, smidges of old glue—
    and slowly, those pieces are added
    to form the odd what, not the who.

The parts, sum of a cracked whole—
    that crazed glass rabbit finally sat,
    watchful upon Bleak Tide Atoll.

What was, will NEVER exist again... once broken and repaired, now is something... different, it might look flawless and it may be almost impossible to see the devastation... but it is there....

I can relate to this message, and you have given it such beauty... heartbreaking beauty....

As always DarKKin, it is such a privilege to read your sublime poetry....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.