The Difference Between Good Criticism & A Troll Looking To Sabatouge Your Flow.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Difference Between Good Criticism & A Troll Looking To Sabatouge Your Flow.

Blog Entries

The Difference Between Good Criticism & A Troll Looking To Sabatouge Your Flow.

As I delve further and further into the wonderful world of writing I find myself at odds and even amazed by the sheer number of "critic's" running around on the internet and even beyond. So I've decided to use some of my own experiences in the world of writing to help others learn the difference between healthy criticism and someone who's just blowing hot steam because they're jealous or they're a troll.

Case and point good advice looks like this,

"An Excellent first chapter. We got a good look into our hero's life and got a feel for what makes him tick. The chapters seem a bit short in length though. Adding more detailed description of his surroundings may help with that. Anyhow, on to the next chapter."

Someone who's ether Trolling or Jealous looks like this,

"Your Character is Garry Stue, he's awful and I hate him."

Please note that I had to paraphrase that quote because the original post was so stupid that I lost brain cells just by looking at it.

So as was my custom for dumb, stupid, outlandish criticism I got rid of it so as to not bog down my brain with bad thoughts and end up in another 2-3 year long writers block over one guy thinking he's clever.

So as young aspiring writers it is not only best for us to grow a thick skin but also to learn not only what is criticism but good criticism. Honestly bad criticism isn't something anyone should ever tolerate it does nothing for ether party and only damages the writer in the long run.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Blog Entries
    I think we've all been there and will be as we share our work. My own annoyance are the 'reviewers' whose comments are so vague it leaves a person wondering if they had read the work. Are these people genuine reviewers or padding their 'review portfolio', for lack of a better term or, on forums, boosting their post count?

One review on a piece of mine, on another site, read like this: "This was good, nicely done."

Why this bothered me is that on other pieces, by others, the same reviewer would leave a paragraph or two on her reaction.
    Sure, I got over it but the memory is still there.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

It's funny how you can identify the sources of learning. I have learned what NOT to do when dealing with another writer's work - just by knowing what I have received as a critique in the past.

I know non -writers probably think we just want to hear "I liked your story." But that is not at all what we are looking for and I can't tell if it's just laziness or if there is some intent involved. Whatever the reason, I would prefer that they not comment at all, than to say a mere four or five words.

I made up a response sheet once for a book of mine and one of my questions was "who was your favorite character?" and was really surprised to hear that one reviewer liked a very lesser character and she took the time to explain why. ! If I hadn't asked that question, I would never have known because she was one of those people who initially said, I liked it. which was one of the reason why I created the response sheet to begin with.

When you are dealing with general readers, I guess they need some education. But for a professional in the field to simply use a couple of words is unthinkable.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I found the best defence against this sort of critique-slash-trolling is to bed down into a standpoint of mild arrogance. My flow is rare and precious; it can't be sabotaged by simple internet hate. You might as well stand an early hominid against the flames of a nascent star as you would get me to change my text to what such people suggest, because they're not my target market - and if they were, I'd dangle a rock on a piece of string and amuse them that way. I already have a target market and they're well-enough disposed towards what I've written, and so I write for them - and for me.*

* That's the sort of thing that goes through my head when faced with crit that doesn't sit. I even visualise myself wearing a poet's shirt, Byron style, while I decimate them. Swords too, probably - scimitars. Could try that

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Hmmm... My crittering ability is below par. It is easy to helpfully point out weak points and maybe a suggestion if one is asked for. But... It is tough trying to help when what I am reading is pretty near perfect.

I was lucky, when I first joined I was treated with patience until I had enough experience to be properly helpful. Sometimes a crit can be poor or hurtful unintentionally.

Just sayin...

There can be gold in critique on-line, but mostly you get value commensurate with what you paid for it. It's a waste of time whining about bad critique, or a critiquing style you don't like. Read it. Consider it -- even if you don't like it. Use what you can get fom it. And move on. There are just as many thin-skinned writing wanna-be's who think all their ideas are the most unique and golden ever produced (though most never actually produce much of anything) as there are nasty critters. I don't get dazzled by ideas, I get dazzled by the execution of those ideas. Harsh critique never quashed a writer. The only person who can do that is the writer him/herself.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    "critic's"
    Pet peeve. Sorry. The apostrophe is never used to pluralize.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Pet peeve. Sorry. The apostrophe is never used to pluralize.
    I really hate this phone. It just spews out the word whether or not it's the right one for the situation or spelled wrong. I hate it even more when I can't catch the mistake before I post. Oh well. Can't win them all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MzSnowleopard View Post
    I think we've all been there and will be as we share our work. My own annoyance are the 'reviewers' whose comments are so vague it leaves a person wondering if they had read the work. Are these people genuine reviewers or padding their 'review portfolio', for lack of a better term or, on forums, boosting their post count.
    I can agree with this. If your going to take the time to post put up something meaningful to the writer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Agreed. I found the best defence against this sort of critique-slash-trolling is to bed down into a standpoint of mild arrogance. My flow is rare and precious; it can't be sabotaged by simple internet hate. You might as well stand an early hominid against the flames of a nascent star as you would get me to change my text to what such people suggest, because they're not my target market - and if they were, I'd dangle a rock on a piece of string and amuse them that way. I already have a target market and they're well-enough disposed towards what I've written, and so I write for them - and for me.*

* That's the sort of thing that goes through my head when faced with crit that doesn't sit. I even visualise myself wearing a poet's shirt, Byron style, while I decimate them. Swords too, probably - scimitars. Could try that
    I actually got into an argument with one guy because he "didn't like weak characters" I was utterly baffled. I'd love to know just what kind of fiction he reads that has absolutely zero weak characters in it. It must be dull and boring.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast