The Difference Between Good Criticism & A Troll Looking To Sabatouge Your Flow. - Page 3

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Difference Between Good Criticism & A Troll Looking To Sabatouge Your Flow.

If the person complaining about "weak characters" has any experience with writing, then I'd listen because s/he is probably talking about characters being written weakly, not the nature of the character them-self. I can't say for sure, as I've never seen anything you've written.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    The definition of arrogance is 'having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.' As I have not once mentioned nor to alluded once to either my own importance or abilities throughout this thread, I fart in the general direction of your suggestion.
    Well then let's throw a few more definitions your way,

haughty, arrogantly superior and disdainful. Check! You seem to feel your superior to me and love pointing it out with ridicule and belittlement.

opinionated conceitedly assertive and dogmatic in one's opinions. If anyone has an opinion on a mater that is different from yours you attack them without even a shred of dignity bravo your a big boy!

But you would be a fool to think for a moment you can choose not to 'tolerate' your work being mercilessly pissed on by the great unwashed, that you get to decide what kind of response is valid. How arrogant of you!
    First halve of this was great but this piece right here is just sad. I have the right to defend my work form some pompous jerk who's only goal is to discredit it. That's the whole point of asking for a critique! If someone does not give out a critique and instead just spout's off obvious crap then yeah I'm going to call then out on it.

As others have already said, you can't do anything about people 'sabatouging' your work, so you might as well take it all positively and not become upset or argumentative. You already mentioned arguing with someone over critique you received. This suggests to me you are probably easily upset and prone to becoming emotional when it comes to criticism of your work. It suggests you are very proud of your story and take any attack on it personally. That's normal, but the idea of a nobody writer arguing with a reader is not smart, for reasons that should be painfully obvious.
    Wow... You really have an over inflated opinion of yourself to call me a nobody writer. Maybe you can shrug off negativity like its nothing but this article inset for you. It's for other's who have a much harder time with it. And further more it's main purpose is to distinguish between Criticism and Someone who's being a troll.

But as long as somebody is giving you their opinion and is telling you it is honest you simply have no business whatsoever to get angry at them for giving it. You definitely don't have to like what they say or respect it or agree with it...but for gods sake still smile and be appreciative they took the time out of their lives to read your story and respond. It's the professional response. As writers, we are sellers in a buyer's market. I think its high time we acted like it.
    Fist off I can accept other's opinion's. It's when they start to spew off there opinion and act like its a fact that i can't stand. And if they come off as overly judgmental or like they have a huge ego like you seem to, that right there is what i can't stand.

Anyway, Rojack, if you don't like my opinion, Terry D said it much more diplomatically. The bolding is mine.
    I guess you can't quote other's in a response, great. Anyway I read his post and can agree with it.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    If the person complaining about "weak characters" has any experience with writing, then I'd listen because s/he is probably talking about characters being written weakly, not the nature of the character them-self. I can't say for sure, as I've never seen anything you've written.
    This person had absolutely zero experience in writing. He contently complained about and harassed me from every turn. Trust me he wasn't talking about them being weak in any other sense than "oh he got his ass handed to him by a superior foe? Yup I'm done! this story is bad and you should feel bad to!" That was his argument in a nutshell.

I've never encountered "trolls" giving crits, at least not on this site. I listen to all criticism, but I will not necessarily take all suggestions. The two questions I ask myself are "Is this person the audience for this work?" and, if they're a writer, "Do I like their work?"

The first question is already taken care of on this site, since people who like speculative frequent the speculative boards, people who like poetry frequent the poetry boards, etc. But it's something to consider--like, I'm not going to ask my dad to read a horror story. The second I ask because people give suggestions based on what they would do, so I want to check out what they would do to see if I like it. There are definitely bad writers who are good critters, but looking at their work gives you a feel for their personal preferences.

The biggest thing is, if more than two people say it, it's probably true. If one person says they don't like a certain scene or character, it might be a preference, but if more people say they don't like it, it's probably actually bad.

In my own criticisms I try to say at least one positive thing, because I don't want people to think their work is unfixable. But I'm going to be heavier on the negatives because that's where the change happens. I also tell them my direct reactions, like "I got lost," or "I laughed out loud," so they know how me as a reader and not just me as a writer felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    This person had absolutely zero experience in writing. He contently complained about and harassed me from every turn. Trust me he wasn't talking about them being weak in any other sense than "oh he got his ass handed to him by a superior foe? Yup I'm done! this story is bad and you should feel bad to!" That was his argument in a nutshell.
    I mean, that's kind of an "aight, man, you do you" moment. Obviously the protagonist has to lose sometimes. But that doesn't mean you can't get anything from his criticism. Double check your character: did he make an effort despite his weakness, or is he just plain pathetic? Again, see what other people say about it.

(also let's please be done with the personal attacks thx)

Then why waste one damned minute of your time, or ours, worrying about what he said? It's a waste of energy.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord View Post
    I mean, that's kind of an "aight, man, you do you" moment. Obviously the protagonist has to lose sometimes. But that doesn't mean you can't get anything from his criticism. Double check your character: did he make an effort despite his weakness, or is he just plain pathetic? Again, see what other people say about it.

(also let's please be done with the personal attacks thx)
    Fair point and assessment. The big thing about this guys gripe the story is really just not logical. The MC is a normal human in a world of magical creatures and powerful figures. He's not going to be able to put up much of a fight at all to begin with. Add to that he's extremely frail compared to them and he got into a physical fight that he lost, yeah that makes him weak. But he's absolutely brimming with personality and substance so he definitely isn't weak in that regard. Having looked at this guys profile he's more than likely a troll,( based off of the fact that while he's been on this site for 5 years he has absolutely zero words to his name were as i have 252,000 in the past three alone, yeah i'll let you guys decide who has more experience in the area of writing.) hence the reason I started this thread so as to discuss the difference between his bad excuse at criticism and someone who genuinely cares about your growth as a writer.

Blog Entries
    Then why waste one damned minute of your time, or ours, worrying about what he said? It's a waste of energy.
    The whole point of this post is to help those who may be struggling with this kind of issue. If anyone else is going through this experience then I want to make a place for them to discuss it.

The whole point of this post is to help those who may be struggling with this kind of issue. If anyone else is going through this experience then I want to make a place for them to discuss it.
    My comment stands. It's a waste of time and energy that could be better spent actually writing something to get feedback on.

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    My comment stands. It's a waste of time and energy that could be better spent actually writing something to get feedback on.
    I did write something, a prologue. It's up in the secure forum posts. Look for Project Atlantis.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast