Am I the only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Who is so sick and tired of watching TV shows where they always disarm the bomb with 1.6 seconds to go or something close to that?

I've always wanted them to disarm the bomb with 3 minutes left or maybe one minute forty-five seconds. That would be refreshing. It's not suspenseful, don't worry we'll get the bomb defused but not until 0.6 seconds.

Whew! That was a close one! Could you feel it?

Am I the only one?
    Thoughts/ideas/comments?

Any thriller book that doesn't do this last second stuff?

You sound fun at parties!

What you’re referring to I think is dramatic tension and the suspension of disbelief needed to achieve it. I tend to agree a lot of times this is done in a really predictable way. Diffusing a bomb successfully with seconds left is a popular cliche so yes it’s a little silly when it’s used, but the notion of a character facing an uphill battle and narrowly escaping death is sort of necessary. Otherwise there simply is no story.

How is anybody supposed to get a thrill from a thriller if the asteroid is comfortably re-routed light years from earth? They can’t. The human drive for fight/flight has to be provoked in order to make these scenes and stories what they are. So no, I disagree that a bomb disarming scene should end with the clock at three minutes. That scene would be boring and a boring scene is worse than an unoriginal one.

Blog Entries
    I'm resigned to the fact that the dramatic countdown will always be ended on the edge of disaster, rather than a few feet back unless, of course the bomb actually blows up, then you have an entirely different kind of story

No, the one cliche I can't stand is "The Hive Mind" cliche. It goes like this:

• We (our planet, or space ship, town, country, or whatever) is attacked by a mysterious horde of creatures, robots, whatever
    • We fight back, but can't seem to gain ground
    • Then, in last-ditch effort we try attacking the main Leader / Brain / Queen
    • Once we kill that target, all the drones / fighters collapse and die

Well now. How convenient.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

Just what I expected!

I'm weird!

Blog Entries
    Well isn't that the truth. If you kill the queen controlling the drones the drones are helplessly inept at doing anything without there queen and OMG!! I just got an awesome idea for a new villain! Off to go make up a list of characters see you all later!
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I'm more bothered that nobody uses mouse when they are using PC and it's always rapid typing with window popping up one after another.

I love Deadpool's view:

1 Tries to kill himself in opening scene
    2 Can't die because of superpowers
    3 Finds collar to cut off superpowers allowing him to kill himself -- just as he needs to stay alive and save the day
    4 Deadpool breaking 4th wall quote to viewer: "I could have done with this in scene one... that's just lazy writing."

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    Well isn't that the truth. If you kill the queen controlling the drones the drones are helplessly inept at doing anything without there queen and OMG!
    Most hive species survive the death a queen - usually by prioritising rearing a new queen from existing larvae. The original Alien trilogy got hive behaviour down well in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by aGuyWhoTypes View Post

Any thriller book that doesn't do this last second stuff?
    It wouldn't be a thriller book. Have you written scenes? It's essentially unescapable. It looks like the hero is going to lose. Always. If there is a deadline, success is always at the last second. Writing a dozen of these makes one more tolerant of other people writing them.

On the other hand . . . some writers seems to think that's all they need to have a good scene. I tried to discuss that here

Oddly, I ended up giving a justification for last-second. Apparently when I wrote this, I agreed with you.

2. I get to Alex. We just look at the bomb. And . . . I'm spending the last two seconds of my life with Alex.

1. He reaches in and pulls out a bunch of random wires.

0. I stare at the zero, uncomprehending . . . finally realizing the bomb is not going off.

We're alive.

I pound on Alex's chest. "YOU HAD NO IDEA WHAT YOU WERE DOING."

He's in shock. He mumbles, "Something. I had to do something, Jade."
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Readers like the familiar and to be surprised. It is tough to balance the two, and lazy writers - or those pandering to a (perceived) lazy audience - prefer to go with the familiar. The bomb being disarmed with only seconds to spare is a familiar cliche, so it gets used in television and movies a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast