Am I the only one? - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one?

Cherish your weirdness.
    Hi Guy, welcome to WF. I'm very pleased to meet you.

The question is... what can I do to change/subvert/take the micky out of this? Always look for the new angle... The art of writing is reinventing the wheel all of the time. I recommend watching Galaxy Quest.
    Good luck fellow weirdo.
    BC
    Quote Originally Posted by aGuyWhoTypes View Post
    Just what I expected!

I'm weird!

Blog Entries
    Right after I read the OP's message I thought of Beverly Hills Ninja, Rush Hour, and Galaxy Quest. I'm sure there's more.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

If you read good thrillers you'll see that the 'last second save' is usually far more complicated (and satisfying) than the old movie/TV trope of 1 second remaining on the timer. We are generally more discerning about the books we read than the movies and TV shows we watch. That's because we make a much larger investment of our time when we read a book. When I tune in to NCIS I'm not expecting a deep, satisfying story. It's an hour (or 40 minutes if I skip commercials on my DVR) of diversion. But, if I pick up a Thomas Harris thriller, I'm going to be spending some serious time with the story and expect a better payoff. That's why most comparisons between techniques used in books and those used in movies/TV aren't very good. The media are too intrinsically different. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of books that make use of worn-out old tropes, but that's why I started this by saying "good" thrillers.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

I remember doing research and a real cop said in real life, they wouldn't even bother disarming a bomb if it was in a building, and that they would evacuate the building, hopefully in time, and just let it blow. I suppose you could write it that way to be more original, since I haven't seen that before in a story.

However, not sure if the police would evacuate and let the bomb blow, if the bomb was attached to a child, like in Rush Hour.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12