How far can technology be stretched before it's not believable in modern times?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: How far can technology be stretched before it's not believable in modern times?

How far can technology be stretched before it's not believable in modern times?

For my screenplay, I want to write it to take place in as a few locations as possible to save money. I am currently making changes to have less locations and just wondering how far I can push it. For example, there is a scene I have now, where I want a witness being interviewed by the police in a police station interview room. Now normally the interview is observed from the observation room. However, in order to avoid another location, what if I wrote it so that the prosecutor is watching the witness being interviewed from his computer, in his office.

But would the readers believe, that the police station interview room has a camera, that has a feed, that can go all the way to the prosecutions office, so he can watch it on his computer? Things like that I wonder how far I can push in order to have locations I already have in the script, double for other locations to save on budget. What do you think?

From what you are describing, it sounds no more advanced than a video conference call, a webcam and a computer with an internet connection being all it would take to get done.

You're talking about interrogation over Skype, OP.

Yeah basically an interrogation over the internet I guess. But would the police allow it to be send to the prosector's computer through the internet since a person could intercept the signal and see what is suppose to be a private police interrogation, or would the police just send it over an encrypted signal? As long as the audience would by it, but would they?
    Last edited by ironpony; May 20th, 2019 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    For example, there is a scene I have now, where I want a witness being interviewed by the police in a police station interview room. Now normally the interview is observed from the observation room. However, in order to avoid another location, what if I wrote it so that the prosecutor is watching the witness being interviewed from his computer, in his office.
    I recall an episode of the original Law & Order in the mid-1990's where the D.A. was watching either a live feed or tape from CCTV of the suspect confessing to the police in their interrogation room. This was the 90's, where TV cameras were still massive, and technology wasn't where it is today.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

You seem fixated on the police.
    Perhaps fix your focus on the accused? Their perspective / focus / actions?

1984 was written in 1949. I don't remember INGSOC so much as I remember Winston Smith. And Julia.
    It's never so much about the technology, as it is about humanity.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Oh I thought I devoted enough time to the accused. The reason why I asked more police questions is the police are bound and restricted by laws and technology and systems, where as the accused can behave without near as many restrictions, or so I thought.