Unpopular Opinions?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions?

Unpopular Opinions?

Post some unpopular writing-related opinions you have?

Opinions have to be related to writing and Officially Unpopular. So something like "the writing in season 8 of the Game Of Thrones TV adaption sucks" doesn't qualify.

No brawling here, only because it will never end if it begins. Polite questioning/clarifying/discussing/I-beg-to-differ-ings are OK obviously, but let's consider this a place to vent views and perhaps find unlikely allies and consider different viewpoints rather than indulge in circular debates or bickering. I guess if you wanna debate something raised here you can always start a new thread or something.

Brief as possible

I'll start with five of mine:

- Most aspiring fantasy authors would probably be better off if they never read Lord Of The Rings.

- Short novels are nearly always better than long ones. Inherently long stories tend to work better in a series format.

- Fight scenes are overrated. There is no way to write a compelling fight scene longer than a couple pages or so.

- The best endings leave at least one major character's fate unresolved.

- The less described/explained a character is, the more interesting they usually are.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Let's see here, my unpopular opinion,

I carry around a sword for self defense and the only gun I'd ever carry is a revolver.

I've read some of the best stories ever written on a furry website.

I hate the overabundance of vampire romance stories being pettled at Hollywood. Show our furry friends some love there Hollywood! You'll peddle necrophilia all day long but bestiality oh hell no!

And i think that's about it for me. Take it away whomever comes by next!
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I have what I think is an unpopular opinion. It's that new writers should get a short piece published as soon as possible, without worrying about the pay or the prestige of the publication. (I'd check duotrope.com and set it to publications with the "fastest response times, highest acceptance rates and simultaneous submissions accepted.") If anyone doesn't know, "simultaneous" means you can send the same piece to as many publications at the same time as you wish, rather than just one at a time.

My reason is that getting published can seem a major impossible dream in many newer writers' minds. That mindset can cause them to not give it their all or even to give up.

Just getting one or a few quick credits breaks through that mental barrier of feeling like getting published is a longshot. The confidence boost of a "win" or two can do wonders for motivation imo and be well worth accepting a less than stellar publication. So this is an exception to the usual advice to always start at the top and work your way down when seeking publication.
    Last edited by Ma'am; May 20th, 2019 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I have what I think is an unpopular opinion. It's that new writers should get a short piece published as soon as possible, without worrying about the pay or the prestige of the publication. (I'd check duotrope.com and set it to publications with the "fastest response times, highest acceptance rates and simultaneous submissions accepted.") If anyone doesn't know, "simultaneous" means you can send the same piece to as many publications at the same time as you wish, rather than just one at a time.

My reason is that getting published can seem a major impossible dream in many newer writers' minds. That mindset can cause them to not give it their all or even to give up.

Just getting one or a few quick credits breaks through that mental barrier of feeling like getting published is a longshot. The confidence boost of a "win" or two can do wonders for motivation imo and be well worth accepting a less than stellar publication. So this is an exception to the usual advice to always start at the top and work your way down when seeking publication.
    Agreetotallyonehundredpercent.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Most aspiring fantasy authors would probably be better off if they never read Lord Of The Rings..
    Or at least read its parody, Bored of the Rings, with Dildo Baggins, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I hate the overabundance of vampire romance stories being pettled at Hollywood. Show our furry friends some love there Hollywood! You'll peddle necrophilia all day long but bestiality oh hell no!
    Hey, I protest! Disney does great bestiality: Beauty and the Beast, lol. He's the biggest furry going! Always made me smile how some hard-wing religious factions complained about gay characters in children's TV shows and movies, yet they love an offer of bestiality. Don't get me started on Sleeping Beauty and the non-con in that. (I really do prefer Grimms' original versions lol.)

Unpopular writing opinions...? Hm.

- Knowing about writing fiction isn't the same as being able to write fiction. Otherwise all linguistics would have a fiction novel under their belt.

- You are not as perfect as you think you are at writing - which is good! Give me humility over Mary Sue authors any day.

The middle classes are ruining the world
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post

Hey, I protest! Disney does great bestiality: Beauty and the Beast, lol. He's the biggest furry going! Always made me smile how some hard-wing religious factions complained about gay characters in children's TV shows and movies, yet they love an offer of bestiality. Don't get me started on Sleeping Beauty and the non-con in that. (I really do prefer Grimms' original versions lol.)

- Knowing about writing fiction isn't the same as being able to write fiction. Otherwise all linguistics would have a fiction novel under their belt.

- You are not as perfect as you think you are at writing - which is good! Give me humility over Mary Sue authors any day.
    OH GOD! You just gave me a flash back. I hate Mary Sue's & Gary Stu's. Cringing right now. How could those unholy abominations ever make it past an editer today is beyond me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post

Seriously though what's with Hollywood & vampires or other dead romance movies? There is literally a movie out there were the main character is some guy who works at a morgue. One day he sees a dead girl & falls in love with her corpse. I'd love to know just how that idea got pitched.

Normal Guy: I have an idea...

Director: Ok.

Normal Guy: There's this guy.

Director: ok.

NG: He lives with his parents..

D: ok..

NG: He also works at a morgue..

D: perfectly normal job..

NG: well he's a lonely guy...

D: Aren't we all? (chuckle)

NG: (Grin's while nervously rubbing the back of his neck.) Haha aren't we all..

D: Go on.

NG: So there's this guy, that lives with his parents, works at a morgue, and he's lonely. (Nervously glances at Director who still looks vaguely interested)

D: (Waves a hand to get the ball rolling) ...And?

NG: Well he's lonely. (Takes a deep breath) So what is he one day see's the corpse of a beautiful women?

D: (Gives NG a blank stare)..And? (He frantically waves his other hand)

NG: (Takes a really deep breath before letting it out and nervously looking around the room as sweat drips down his glistening bald head) What if he falls in love with her corpse? (He blurts out slamming his eyes shut to avoid the repulsed look if the director.) He slowly peels one eye open and nervously giggles at the fuming director.

D: (Looks the NG up and down quaking in anger.) WERE.. IS.. THE.. SEX!?

NG: (looks slack jawed at the director.) ...Um...what?

Unpopular writing opinion - (IMO)

That a story, written well, also has to make sense.

That poor punctuation, regardless of the message, can ruin a story.

That writing about little-known (maybe unreal) techniques or abilities do not make for a more interesting story.

That writers should try writing about reality before writing about fantasy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	23763

Whew! That felt good!

Addendum: Just to clarify - these are MY opinions that I shared -
    Last edited by SueC; May 21st, 2019 at 02:06 PM.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Blog Entries
    Also, (and this'll be my last nitpick for the mourning) why is it that all of the mainstream Paranormal Romance stories have strong, female, monster lead characters? Were are the normal male lead characters? Seriously it's like the PR community is blatantly stating that a) men can't be romantic and b) normal men are just not good enough.

I mean with all of the research and hunting I've done on the internet I think I've only ever come across two PR fics that star a male lead and only one of those was a normal human being. It's just sad to the underrepresention of male leads in romance fics.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast