Unpopular Opinions? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Unpopular writing beliefs

I don't have a problem with having a dozen different perspectives in a story.

I also don't mind changing the POV. I have alternated 1st/3rd POV in several books. No law says you have to tell the whole story in 3rd person omnipotent.

I like to write at 4am. Sometimes earlier. (That's gotta be unpopular!)
    Changing POV, sure. How about changing both POV and tense?
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Rojack, oddly enough, I have noticed the same, but not just paranormal romance. That idea is everywhere! Strong female characters are popping up all over the place - making men look like last year's edition. Even in commercials, men always wind up looking wimpy. I don't like it - not that women shouldn't be celebrated and esteemed for their particular talents, but why do all the stories that celebrate women have to do it at the price of some poor guy? I'm over it - but they don't listen to me.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Unpopular opinion on writing: Wheel of Time is one of the greatest works of art of our generation.

Unpopular Opinion......
    ....if viewed as a work of literature, The Bible is not very well written.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Rojack, oddly enough, I have noticed the same, but not just paranormal romance. That idea is everywhere! Strong female characters are popping up all over the place - making men look like last year's edition. Even in commercials, men always wind up looking wimpy. I don't like it - not that women shouldn't be celebrated and esteemed for their particular talents, but why do all the stories that celebrate women have to do it at the price of some poor guy? I'm over it - but they don't listen to me.
    It's not that there haven't always been strong women characters out there because there have. The problem is that now, they are essentially making women into men, giving them all male characteristics, then having them say "we don't need men!" Of course not, you ARE MEN! We've always had strong women in media, they just haven't been obnoxious feminist man-hating shills until now.

Cephus - I so agree! It's really nice to know that I am not on that soap box all by myself. Thanks!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark

I support and respect characters' physical descriptions as they were created by other people. I also can't really picture a character unless he or she is physically described.

Sue, I couldn't agree more. I despise modern television/sitcoms that constantly portray men as clueless buffoons. It was funny the first twenty times. Now, it's just stupid. I was talking with a gay friend of mine, and we were talking about the fact that gay men always hit on straight men. He said, "I'm gay. I like MEN. Why do I want to date some guy who has his nails done, wears makeup, and talks and acts like a woman? If I wanted to date a woman, I'd date a woman!"

I adore women. I adore women who are strong, and yet, retain their femininity. I adore women who are happy that I am an unapologetic alpha male. I will gladly go to war for what I believe or to defend those whom I love. I will work as hard as I can, sweat, bleed, curse, and come home exhausted, but I will always provide for my family. Had I been in one of the twin towers on 9/11, I would have been one of the ones charging up the stairs to help others, or I would have been rushing the cockpit to either kill the terrorists or crash the plane trying. For those whom I love, I am their champion. I am strong, smart, and I work hard.

I also realize that I am not without my weaknesses, but my wife is strong in ways that I am not. We complement each other.

Sometimes, I want to reach through the television and punch the writers in the mouth, but usually, I just swear and change the channel. Hrmph.
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Amnesiac - this has been on my mind for some time and the points you bring are right on. Heck - I'm a woman. I want my gender to be strong, capable, smart. But I first started to notice this trend in sitcoms where a teenage girl was rude and aggressive and applauded for her mouth. I refused to watch those types of shows, that teach young girls that being disrespectful to parents and other "authority" figures is a good thing! Watching a girl take down a teacher verbally is not my form of entertainment and I hated it. Women are clever, where men are decisive. They really do bring different gifts to the table. I will never understand why some women feel they have to be like men - that's why we have men! I see over and over women who abandon their natural femininity, hoping to appear strong. I wish there was a way to change this awful trend, but I guess all we really can do is let it play out and be sure to teach our children to be true to their gender.

You sound like a dude, Dude!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark

Sue, again: I could not agree more. Bang on!
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast