Watch me paint a dog portrait! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch me paint a dog portrait!

A local pet expo held a Cutest Pet Photo contest and asked me if I would help out by narrowing the field to the ten best and painting a portrait of the winner in exchange for co-sponsorship of the event.

Well, of course the virus forced cancellation of the expo, but the contest went on. Here's me painting the winner.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content

Even though this isn't a video, it's still a worthy sample, recently finished.

One of the reference photos I was given had Diesel sitting in a wheat field. The photo was dark and the wheat was new spring growth, and very green. I liked the wheat field idea, but the photo itself was poor.

There was another photo of Diesel in a car looking out the window that was strongly lit, it was too bright, but the pose was good.

There was a third photo of Diesel laying on a car seat. The pose wasn't good, but the lighting was nice and even which gave me a good idea of her coloration.

So I modeled the sunny shot and put her in a summer wheat field, and referred to the middle tone image for ideas on coloration.

That's the process I went through on this portrait. It was a lengthy process, with a couple stops and starts, but you can't argue with the final result.

Diesel (16x20 digital)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DieselO.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	25930

Hidden Content

Here's a quick portrait of a Leonberger. I did this just for fun because I love the breed.

Name:	Leonberger_200901.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	26026

Hidden Content

I love these! I am a dog lover, all my life and these are so great, the way you've captured the spirit of these dogs is unreal! The life in their eyes and expression is just awesome.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there youíll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I love these! I am a dog lover, all my life and these are so great, the way you've captured the spirit of these dogs is unreal! The life in their eyes and expression is just awesome.
    Thank you! I always put lots of emphasis on the eyes, as that's the emotional center of where we connect with our pets.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    Here's a screen capture video of a recent commission. I included some captions to explain the process I went through for this painting.

Software used:
    • screen capture: Snagit
    • digital painting: Corel Painter
    • video editing: Adobe Premiere
    • captions: Adobe Illustrator
    • music: Apple Logic

It would happen sooner or later, but I'll bite. Can you illustrate a book? What kind of book would you be willing to illustrate in this way? Many of us here are first timers. I personally would like to see what genres you could do. Just sayin without being self-centered. I really don't know what you would/could do for any of us. I just thought it the obvious question. I mean, you could make some money if this quality came with a profound message. Something powerful to drive home this image... maybe even poetry. An anthology of poems about animals? pets?

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Messer View Post
    It would happen sooner or later, but I'll bite. Can you illustrate a book? What kind of book would you be willing to illustrate in this way? Many of us here are first timers. I personally would like to see what genres you could do. Just sayin without being self-centered. I really don't know what you would/could do for any of us. I just thought it the obvious question. I mean, you could make some money if this quality came with a profound message. Something powerful to drive home this image... maybe even poetry. An anthology of poems about animals? pets?

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here
    excellent banner!
    excellent challenge images!

quite inspiring, consistently...
    jussayin',
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    and
    coming soon to a publication near you
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Messer View Post

I'm trying to help this community just like everyone else, right? I see great potential here.
    You've given me a lot to respond to…

First, I'm always interested in discussing work for hire (whether book illustration, cover design, etc.), though the main point of this thread was simply to showcase my pet portrait work, because I love doing them.

As to style, you can see I do realistic work for my portraits, but I've played with other styles and media over the years (check out this forum's Challenge Banners every month - I always try to mix up the looks on those).

Combining words and pictures? That's what got me into my graphic design career 35 years ago. I love the challenge of combining art with words.

The powers that be here on Writing Forums have been gracious enough to allow me some ad space, so you can click on either my banner ad at the top, the sidebar on the right, or even my signature line below to visit my site and view my portfolio where I have plenty of samples of work through the years.

But in the mean time, I'm going to get back to work on a very new and obscure breed of dog, it's a cross between a Golden Doodle and a Velociraptor, called a Veloci-Doodle.

Name:	VelociDoodle.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	26027
    Last edited by sigmadog; September 16th, 2020 at 05:44 PM.

Hidden Content

Wow is Fabulous! Compliments!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12