What Are You Doing? - Page 7

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    I have the same problem. I have a few friends on whom I can depend for critique and offer opinions. All but two have pretty much gone silent. It's unnerving!
    I feel for ya. Sorry your writing buddies are deserting you.

I haven't had a proper beta read since 2013. I used to have two friends once upon a time (like 15 years ago) who read my science fiction novels, but they fell off the map. Husband used to read my long fiction, but hates the current WIP so much that it was divorce or stop writing altogether. Years later, he apologized for all the hostility but he still hates me mentioning it and only tolerates me working on it because I have to write it to purge it from my system. Stupid thing has been hounding me and our marriage since 2009 now. It's like a damn tapeworm in my brain.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

I desperately need more beta readers, and mentors, for my work. It makes it SO much better and I only have one friend who's helping that doesn't have that much time because he's a pilot.

Just had a long drunken conversation with a former roommate / former brother-n-law / good friend that covered the probabilistic likelihood of the existence of god based on an introspective definition of consciousness, with the presupposition that increased causal linkage in the primary movement of creation would result in more possibilities for consciousness to emerge (where said consciousness would then qualifying as god), but we quickly became sidetracked with how special relativity seems to contradict the speed of light in a vacuum as being constant, yet nobody who supposedly "knows" about this will give you a straight answer to what the resolution (or if there even is one) to this is. We did settle on the conclusion that leaving IT for middle management was a bad idea though, as you have to (as a matter of practicality) become completely fake and that, while your salary may increase, you become much more disposable as you age relative to staying in specialized IT positions.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewclunn View Post
    ... leaving IT for middle management was a bad idea...
    Definitely.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    So, what I am doing right now is scratching my head. How come all of you we-want-a-beta reader crowd don't just get together on some website, commiserate about your past terrible experiences, and then get together and beta read for each other?

Oh. Wait a minute. You are on not just some website, but the only website worth putting your heads together on!

Better yet, you are commiserating!

Awesome!!!

Now all that's left is the beta reader part--but I'm sure you all were headed that way anyway, so I'll just step out of the way...
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    So, what I am doing right now is scratching my head. How come all of you we-want-a-beta reader crowd don't just get together on some website, commiserate about your past terrible experiences, and then get together and beta read for each other?

Oh. Wait a minute. You are on not just some website, but the only website worth putting your heads together on!

Better yet, you are commiserating!

Awesome!!!

Now all that's left is the beta reader part--but I'm sure you all were headed that way anyway, so I'll just step out of the way...

Aww, haaaaaaaail naawww. Nobody's going to read Pinocchio, and I can't even post it for beta reading til it's done, per forum rules. It's a totally unloved 54K and one of the harshest, most horrible things anyone's ever put to pixels. I don't blame people for not reading it, but I still need to get it out of my head.

I'm... not sleeping yet, which is sad. I'm tired, but I'm also suffering some gastrointestinal problems and can't seem to stay out of the bathroom. Belly's got the hurbledeburbles.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

I'm about to get out of bed as the battery on this laptop is almost flat and I have other things to do anyway. Signing off then. Bye.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Having an emotional breakdown of sorts. Realized that the current situation in Pinocchio is bothering me so much because it's not only a metaphor for "no one will believe you" in cases of child sex abuse and rape, but the whole freaking story (and especially this problem scene) directly mirror my own life in ways I had never intended. Once again, a victim goes to the authorities, cooperates with the authorities, does everything she can to help the investigation, but nothing she says is taken seriously because the crime is too soft to leave the sort of evidence that might get the rapist locked away for good. In the end, the rapist is put behind bars--not because of the rape, because the authorities don't care about her measly not-violent-enough rape--but because the rapist did some unrelated crime that affected a large number of people (especially some rich people). No wonder this hurts so much to write.

Gotta do some deep breathing and pet the cat. I'm allergic, but at least he's fluffy and soft.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

What I'm doing right now...

Thinking how terrified I was of the monsters in my closet or beneath my bed. I was too young to realize that the monsters were sleeping in the room at the other end of the hallway.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    What I'm doing right now...

Thinking how terrified I was of the monsters in my closet or beneath my bed. I was too young to realize that the monsters were sleeping in the room at the other end of the hallway.
    Remember, God didn't make all monsters equal. Samuel Colt did. Just sayin'.

We're off to get a new cell carrier to save some money. We're getting fleeced right now. Also need a new phone for my wife, as hers won't hold a charge.
    So, I'm thinking why are we messing with these half-measures? Just fund a national program to implant technology in every citizen. We'll tax the cell phone companies to pay for it.
    Resistance is Futile.

"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"