What Are You Doing? - Page 79

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2969717273747576777879

Thread: What Are You Doing?

Today I want to put my blogs in order.
    They have been standing still for a long time to gather dust.
    Hidden Content My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: give emotions and dreams. Hidden Content
    I'm sorry for my bad English.

I am embarking on a very ambitious writing project that centers around a place called, "River Valley." (Very similar to where I grew up.) The place is full of legends and ghosts, and the town itself is oddly depressed, economically. By rights, it shouldn't be. It's beautiful, with amazing mountains and tons of things to do in the outdoors, but when the dam was built to create the lake, the old town was submerged. There was one woman who refused to leave her home, and "went down with the ship," so to speak.
    To make way for the dam project, there was a government land-grab that displaced the whole town.

Adding to that, and going back further in history, there was a massacre by US Cavalry of about 200 native Americans from two tribes. From there, there was a gold rush, gold and silver mining, timber and logging, lots of hard drinking, gunfighting, and a general and pervasive lawlessness. It wasn't a far cry from the Old West towns featured in a lot of westerns. I think there's a John Wayne movie that was based on my town...

In fact, before the town was renamed, it was called, "Whiskey Flat." The story is going to be called, "The River Valley Saga," and it'll be a series of stories full of colorful characters and set in the pre-computer, pre-cellphone, pre-internet age. (i.e. the 80's)
    Last edited by Amnesiac; September 24th, 2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

I'm looking for as much information as possible, on Japanese culture, for a book I'm writing.
    I'm not sure if setting it in Japan is the right choice.
    Hidden Content My dream? Being able to enter people's hearts with words: give emotions and dreams. Hidden Content

I lived and worked there for a decade.
    Last edited by Amnesiac; September 29th, 2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Okay... I guess I'm invisible.

Thinking of going back to school for my bachelors degree. In fact, I'm going to do it, especially now that I have a chance to move into management. My associates of science is in surgical technology, and I worked as a scrub tech for a couple of years. I'll be pursuing my bachelors in business administration. Should be pretty easy. I already have 17 years as a company president until I retired at 42. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LadySilence View Post
    I'm looking for as much information as possible, on Japanese culture, for a book I'm writing.
    I'm not sure if setting it in Japan is the right choice.
    Look it up in the internet archive or project Gutenberg for free. I recently have been taking a different approach to research. I did zero research for description. But using such sources, videos, magazines, internet, among others, and you should do well. If a novel buy books that are cheap on the topic. Don't limit yourself to that. Travel brochures, and magazines can also help. I imagine a video will capture the 5 senses. Especially sound which can be neglected. Write japan culture in the subject and it will search for all books that come up in the text in project Gutenberg's website (free from viruses since it's a charity). Also, that is under advanced search.

Anything in the public domain is fair game and can be used. There are eyewitness accounts and of course an author's style can influence. That being said. I hope I can manage. My current situation is my mom is working on the computer and I can't write anything new because I lost the power adaptor to the second computer. It's bores me that she has work for 8 days and I can't do anything I want with writing since the computer is being used for work. I have to be patient as if I were a spider.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

[QUOTE = Theglasshouse; 2308386] Cercalo gratuitamente nell'archivio Internet o nel progetto Gutenberg. Recentemente ho adottato un approccio diverso alla ricerca. Non ho fatto nessuna ricerca per la descrizione. Ma usando tali fonti, video, riviste, Internet, tra gli altri, dovresti fare bene. Se un romanzo acquista libri che sono economici sull'argomento. Non limitarti a questo. Anche opuscoli di viaggio e riviste possono aiutare. Immagino che un video catturerà i 5 sensi. Soprattutto il suono che può essere trascurato. Scrivi la cultura giapponese nell'argomento e cercherà tutti i libri che appaiono nel testo nel sito web del progetto Gutenberg (privo di virus poiché è un ente di beneficenza). Inoltre, è in fase di ricerca avanzata.

Tutto ciò che è di pubblico dominio è un gioco leale e può essere utilizzato. Ci sono resoconti di testimoni oculari e ovviamente lo stile di un autore può influenzare. Detto ciò. Spero di poterlo fare. La mia situazione attuale è che mia madre sta lavorando al computer e non posso scrivere nulla di nuovo perché ho perso l'alimentatore del secondo computer. Mi annoia il fatto che lei lavori da 8 giorni e non posso fare nulla di quello che voglio con la scrittura poiché il computer viene utilizzato per lavoro. Devo essere paziente come se fossi un ragno. [/ QUOTE]

In fact that's what I'll do this weekend, I dedicate it to research, The music, to reading, to understand if Japan is the right place for my book.
    I love for this Internet, because it offers me the possibility, to enter a reality that is not mine.

Blog Entries
    I'm not procrastinating, really, I'm not. I was intending to take a bus-ride [ and to think, I used like bus-riding once upon a time ]out of town to a building-supplies store to hopefully get things that I need repair my fence but .............. as I look out of my window there isn't a cloud to be seen in a pale blue sky, there's a light wind blowing, and it's freezing out there. Okay, slight exaggeration , it's bloody cold. And even the lightest of breezes would prevent me from being able to handle a 2mtr fence-panel anyway. The weather has to be perfectly still and so the shopping-trip can wait.

dithering...
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Poking through the halls of WF whenever I get too frustrated in the learning curve of creating a poster on Canva ... the struggle is real!!! Thank you WF for patting me on the back and saying 'there there everything will be just fine'