What Are You Doing? - Page 78

Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 286870717273747576777879 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing?

Reading Journal of Nicholas Cresswell - 1774-1777 who went to the American colonies from England.

I'm surmising in the few pages I've read, he's resolute to go because he wants to give his friends and family 'peace and quiet' -- basically thinking 'oh, they'll be happier if I'm gone'. At least that's how I'm interpreting it. He's thinking they legit don't care about him.

On his entry dated March 30th, 1774, shortly before he leaves, he's all:
    "They all are, or pretend to be, very uneasy at my going away. Some of them that I had least expected shed tears plentifully; but whether they are real or affected they are the best judges."

There's definitely something going on in his head...

Reading talking to writing. I hope to apply the strategies in the book. The book's subject is about dyslexia and writing. Sentence level strategies are covered. Today I read I should create a theme of the topic I will write about before hand. This alleviates some of the cognitive load of working memory, executive function, and attention issues I believe. So I have to research something and put it into categories before I write it. I have to read about it, watch videos, and read about real life experiences. Today I for example googled about American houses which there are many categories. By creating a semantic category we can help categorize things. Subtopics are important. A person who has little knowledge about something (such as myself) on the topic at hand will have less expressive ways to develop the sentences and paragraphs. Thus theme means you need to familiarize yourself with the topic at hand you will write about which I admit I didn't do.
    A quick search on the internet revealed this. However, native Americans life, food, and culture can be another topic and consequently subtopic. It can help you build a fictional world. Since I lack life experiences in what I write it makes it more difficult. Again studying the theme helps here.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/2101830...n-house-styles

I read 24 pages and did underlining using a pencil. That is what I did for today. Once I learn the mnemonics and strategies I hope to improve every issue I have. Cohesive ties are also covered in the book. It sounds like I have such a diagnosis.

I hope do another 24 pages tomorrow. It is very interesting and makes me wish I was a special educator. Also, I hope I can finish it quickly, but I am taking my time.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200917_162643.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	26031

Not much, but I do have my book...

What am I doing...
    Well,,,I had my breakfast like I do every morning. Spilt my coffee. Which never starts the day out good. My toys I play with got thrown away. That sucks because I play with them often. So, now that I have no toys to play with I guess I will get suited up and go hiking in the forest. I love the forest. One never knows what animals you will meet on the trails. I hike off the trails many times. I like to wander. I look for big foot and bears. I hear them. I feel them. Watching me. Waiting.
    Some girls are made of Supernova’s,Moonbeam dances ,Stardust sprinkles,Forest Witches and Crows Kisses ~ RR

Today I am writing, trying to make sense of a story I have created. Ugh. It has to flow, it has to be orderly and make sense. Otherwise no one will love me.

And ... woke up in tears today. The natural order of things are bearable, aren't they? The leave-taking of an elderly person is somehow more acceptable, but my son-in-law left us out of order. My daughter sat at a football game last night (her son's first) and cried, alone (because of covid), thinking her husband should be with her. He's only been gone a month, but was so over-the-moon excited about the football, and his kiddo playing this year, his first year of high school. I can't ease her pain and that makes me cry even more. What good is a mom if you can't help? I told her he was with her, watching the game over her shoulder.

Life can be unfair sometimes, and 2020 holds all the cards.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Today I am writing, trying to make sense of a story I have created. Ugh. It has to flow, it has to be orderly and make sense. Otherwise no one will love me.

And ... woke up in tears today. The natural order of things are bearable, aren't they? The leave-taking of an elderly person is somehow more acceptable, but my son-in-law left us out of order. My daughter sat at a football game last night (her son's first) and cried, alone (because of covid), thinking her husband should be with her. He's only been gone a month, but was so over-the-moon excited about the football, and his kiddo playing this year, his first year of high school. I can't ease her pain and that makes me cry even more. What good is a mom if you can't help? I told her he was with her, watching the game over her shoulder.

Life can be unfair sometimes, and 2020 holds all the cards.
    I hear you. This year things have just crashed. Hugs to you and your daughter and her family.
    Some girls are made of Supernova’s,Moonbeam dances ,Stardust sprinkles,Forest Witches and Crows Kisses ~ RR

Time is going by slowly. Our house feels isolated like a prison because of this pandemic. But I am determined to try out using a notebook and journaling. As of right now that book I used on disabilities disappointed me. It was wasted money (I am not severely disabled as suggested by that book). But anyways I did my research as I usually do on the internet. I did find some promising books not written by a teacher. This book I found explains how to describe. Although it's titled "for young writers". The author is a teacher and writer. Kind of debating on how whether to buy it as a hard copy. At this point I am willing to try anything. Because of how badly description is taught by writers of self-help books (I need more help than they offer). I admit it would be useful to know my disability. Time and circumstances have made it difficult. The problem with books that refer to description is that they are written for teachers. This one seems more specific though and promising than ones in the past. It has the exact table of contents I was looking for. 3 more days and I will buy that book. My uncle runs a school so I can ask if he has contacts. It's a bewildering experience to write something down and make sure it flows. However, I did notice that I don't use the five wh questions (journalist questions) to plan a paragraph and plan to order and have a college reader that talks specifically about this. That way I can avoid switching topics and arrange sentences logically by sequence. For example to explain why a house looks ruined or haunted you would use exclusively the why question.

Here's the title of the mentioned book but that I will buy since I can't seem to describe easily since it takes me a long time to come up with worthwhile descriptions.
    Developing Young Writers in the Classroom: I've got something to say 1st Edition
    (if I judge it using the table of contents I would say it looks like a good book for me to answer how to write better description)
    I think I will order it on kindle just to understand how to write good prose even though again its meant to be for "young independent writers."
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I smell like bug spray.

Finished researching how to describe better. It will take time ( many weeks)and money. I plan to order many books on description.

Also, I am considering something called voice banking. There is no research to suggest if it helps people with reading disabilities. There isn't any website that says yes or no. In theory if I did record my voice I hope it could help me find mistakes. This will have to wait for december. It gets tiring to read. When I read out loud I notice a big difference in comprehension.

Blog Entries
    All writing related again. It never stops. Assembling a pitch deck and having a screenwriter analyze the book for an adaption. Already sent off about 45 soft pitches to directors/producers to test the waters, whereas I should have waited. I've just entered Hollywood hell and I knew beforehand it was going to be a nearly impossible task. But as W.C. Fields once said, "We have to take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content