What Are You Doing? - Page 42

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 323435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing?

Editing a piece of flash fiction. Interesting thing about flash: For its brevity, it takes so much more polishing! Like, if I'm going to develop characters, a scene or two, have a conflict and a resolution, and keep everything pared down to -1000 words, and for me, mine tend to be around 700 words, then every sentence has to punch Mr. Narrative Drive right in the nuts! So....... I'm editing. Polishing. Kicking Narrative Drive in the crotch with steel-toed boots, then seizing it by its neck and slinging it around the room and yelling straight down into its eyeballs while smiling that gritty, biting-on-tinfoil smile: "You can never have too many scars, Billy!"

But other than that, I'm really not up to much...
    Last edited by Amnesiac; February 11th, 2020 at 12:26 AM. Reason: (Got a little carried away. Sorry. Need more coffee...)
    “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” -Hemingway

Having just finished a read-through of *last* year's NaNo, I'm now looking at this coming year with apprehension towards querying a project of mine. My usual forum of choice has been DOA for a couple of months, and it had a massive writer beware section where you could ask about the recent activity/sales of agents and agencies. I feel significantly less secure sending queries without that resource.

[QUOTE=Fiender;2268575]Having just finished a read-through of *last* year's NaNo, I'm now looking at this coming year with apprehension towards querying a project of mine. My usual forum of choice has been DOA for a couple of months, and it had a massive writer beware section where you could ask about the recent activity/sales of agents and agencies. I feel significantly less secure sending queries without that resource. [/QUOTE

I would get that info from the 'Writers and Artists Year Book' at my local library, but I don't know if there is an American version.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I'm eating a hot bowl of Jambalaya, which seemed apropo for this cold, winter day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiender View Post
    My usual forum of choice has been DOA for a couple of months,
    You must be talking about absolutewrite.com. They obviously didn't have a backup system in place. I hope this site does.

Blog Entries
    Contemplating moving out of my parents house. It feels like the right thing to do at this point but it's also just plain scary. Looking around at roommates right now but boy will it be a fight to leave.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    Contemplating moving out of my parents house...
    Can I move in? I'm six months behind on my rent here. Plus, I like the climate in AZ.

Thanks..leaving now.

Im being secretive
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Not sure whether to decide to post a short story that is 5000 words long. I submitted it to a contest. I am positive it's my best story that hasn't gotten accepted. I like it better than my published work. If that fails, then I will know by march the 31st or a bit earlier. That and it got good feedback here. That having been said. I signed up to duotrope to look for markets. To workshop it in the speculative area is what I had in mind. Just in case someone wants to look for nits in the grammar. It was proofread by me extensively. Other people thought it was ok with regard to the grammar. I returned to the manuscript to edit again months later. I will read one to two hours of fiction. I am planning to continue reading the best science fiction and fantasy of the year. Maybe fafrd and the grey mouser. I plan to read that to trigger the subconcious, and right now I did a lot of editing of a previous work. I am waiting until some books arrive from the post office (to put the composition principles into practice).
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; February 15th, 2020 at 04:18 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Blog Entries
    I'm reading Glasshouse's post and being impressed!

...and digesting.
    We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.