What Are You Doing? - Page 30

Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20222324252627282930313233343536373840 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Thinking about getting my cat put down, if she even lasts until tomorrow. She's old and sick and has taken a big turn for the worse in the past couple of days. I think her kidneys have shut down.
    Sorry to hear that, Ma'am.
    Cats are so much more than cats.

1300 words into, "Phillip and the Diary of Dreams."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81523040_10162965768290038_8696740601766346752_o.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	25248

Blog Entries
    Thinking about getting my cat put down, if she even lasts until tomorrow. She's old and sick and has taken a big turn for the worse in the past couple of days. I think her kidneys have shut down.
    So very sorry to hear about it. Hugs....
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    What am I doing? Preparing for the day, even though it's nearly 10:30 in the morning. I overslept. And there's not even an interesting story behind my oversleeping.

I woke up around four this morning, needing to relieve myself, as I often do during the night since my prostate prevents me from completely emptying my bladder. Wait! Too much information! Sorry.

On returning to bed, it occurred to me that I hadn't thanked my brother-in-law for the gift he gave me on Christmas. So I tried to fall asleep, but it kept nagging at me that I hadn't thanked him, and I had actually tossed the gift in the trash. I felt enormous guilt. I don't particularly like my brother-in-law, but he is family.

After laying in bed for about ten minutes, tossing and turning, I finally got up, went to my office, retrieved the discarded gift from the trash can, and sent a brief email to my brother-in-law, thanking him for it. Ahhhh. Relief. No more guilt.

While I was up, to help me sleep, I toasted a bagel. All those carbs would surely help me sleep. Naturally, the dog got up to see what I was up to and wanted a biscuit, which of course, he received. He seems to get a biscuit every time I go into the kitchen. Or my wife goes into the kitchen. Spoiled dog.

The bagel is the reason I overslept this morning. It's like taking a sleeping pill.

There is much to do today. The Vikings take on the Saints in a few minutes, but before watching that, I need to go out and play fetch with the dog! Ugh. The retired life is exhausting. And then at 2:40 this afternoon, it's the Seahawks vs. the Eagles! Don Henley is 72, for crap sake. He can barely walk! I'm taking the Seahawks in that one.

The Eagles suck, anyway. It's not even the Eagles with all the replacements; it's more like an Eagles cover band. Glenn Frey was the voice of the Eagles, and since he died, they're just cashing in on the name. And Don Felder has completely sold out to the extent that nobody in the band can stand being around him, so they have somebody else playing his parts. Joe Walsh? He's not even a member.

Just kidding. My mind isn't that far gone yet.
    I can relate. When I need to go to sleep urgently to go to leave the next day I have no choice but to eat something sweet. It's not good advice to eat fruits at night. On Christmas night I ate chocolate since my grandma usually hands these out. There are two doctors in my family (mother's side of the family). One is a bone surgeon. The other is a heart doctor and medical internist. Since my medicine is supposed to induce sleep, and it was Christmas. My mother doesn't like me to take medicine in front of the family dinner guests who were invited for Christmas. Therefore, the shortcut for sleeping was eating chocolate. According to my uncle (bone surgeon) he suggested that eating the chocolate there would indeed induce me to want to go to sleep faster. So I ate some without much of a choice since we had to leave the next day. The traffic can be bad on holidays since everyone close to where I must go to visit my grandma's house is a 2-hour drive.

He even commented on saying chocolate in hotels is useful because of the sugar in them to help people fall asleep. But he lied and said the chocolate is kept in hotels for this very reason. I know chocolate is in demand all over the world, so I know that was him saying that to confuse me on what to do.

He won't convince anyone here on microwaves, but he demolished a microwave oven and says that it causes cancer. He researches a lot of medicine. He even posted a small video on the cellphone to my mother.

I've been meaning to ask the psychiatrist and doctor, but my father is domineering over my mother and the psychiatrist's only available on Fridays on the hospital I go to. They like to leave to go on a small trip on weekends because of chronic pain and avoiding house chores. I'm guessing he doesn't want to hear me complain to him. That's me thinking over why this is.

Anyways sorry for your cat Mam. I used to have cats. I think that was how I beat my asthma when young. Something about pets helping asthma patients is useful and life saving. So maybe doing so some things you enjoy doing is my advice.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

(Excerpt from "Phillip and the Diary of Dreams")

I waded deeper into the store. Toward the center, I found a staircase leading to a loft where there were several bookcases, and I could hear the rain thrumming hard on the rooftop.

I meandered through the aisles until a very thick, very old looking tome caught my eye. It was entitled, A Diary of Dreams. I eased it out of the shelf, expecting it to be a lot heavier than it was. Even now, I don’t know what compelled me to choose that particular book. I suppose it could be chalked up to mere voyeurism; the idea of reading a diary; or perhaps some kind of destiny—I don’t really know, but I nestled into a comfortable, mahogany leather sofa and began to read.

Initially, the book both drew and confused me. At first glance, it seemed like an autobiographical dream diary, but there were portions that were arranged like a dictionary of dreams and dream symbols, themselves. Still other pages were covered with sketches and drawings of fantastic scenes in nature, strange creatures, and various faces. Between the soft glow of the reading lamp, the sound of the rain, and the rhythm of the text, my eyelids grew heavy and closed…

Abruptly, the rain was louder, the air cooler, and I found myself outside. Around me was a sea of umbrellas of all colors; people walking to and from a nearby train station. Before I could register much more than that, I felt a hand on either side of my face, and I was suddenly being kissed; on the lips! Passionately! I opened my eyes, and a girl about my age, wearing a red wool jacket with a matching beret was biting her scarlet lower lip and smiling, her pearl-black eyes searching into mine, the rain collecting like fine silver on her dark lashes and pale skin. She hurried away to board a waiting commuter train, darting through as the doors closed. As it pulled out of the station, I could see her face pressed against the window trying to keep me in sight. And then she was gone.

I awoke, still straddling worlds. I shouted in my head, “Who…”
    A faint reply came, “Wendy! Find me!” her voice fading.
    Wendy! I smiled to myself. It was crazy, but the dream had felt so real—maybe even more real than this… this waking reality!

So sorry...We went through that in June with CatCat. As hard as it was, it was time. She was ready to go...Thoughts for you and your fuzzy.

Not uncommon with cats I learned when it happened to our cat Dave, don't leave it too long, there does come a point...

Our present cat turned up starving, covered in sores and with no fur on her back legs, vet reckoned she was about four, that was about three years ago, now she is a sleek little thing that just fought a hairband all around the living room floor as though she was a kitten

It is painful that we outlive our pets, but there is a future always.

BTW What I'm doing, checking out my friends on wf of course
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Attachment 25249

And there is always somebody in need of a family...like my Potato Cat, the kitten I didn't know I needed. Best part of a long, busy day. And while I cannot reach my book, I can waste time on the internet.
    Last edited by Darkkin; January 6th, 2020 at 02:19 AM.

I am hoping someone will vote, to break the tie on the tiebreaker vote.

https://www.writingforums.com/thread...r-Holiday-quot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    I can relate. When I need to go to sleep urgently to go to leave the next day I have no choice but to eat something sweet.
    I get wired if I eat something sugary before bed like cake or candy, and then I can't sleep. Although sometimes I eat cereal before bed, which has a lot of sugar, and that helps me sleep. Maybe it's the combination of carbs and milk that do it. I don't know, but one thing I do know is that I won't be going to bed for another three hours, so it's safe for me to eat some desert.