What Are You Doing? - Page 23


Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13151617181920212223242526272829303133 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 362

Thread: What Are You Doing?

  1. #221
    Recovering from a bout of the flu... I went for my flu shot in October but.... the flu shot does not mean I will not get the flu, just that it will not be as bad.... &&%$^**.... seriously, I feel like a Zombie...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Recovering from a bout of the flu... I went for my flu shot in October but.... the flu shot does not mean I will not get the flu, just that it will not be as bad.... &&%$^**.... seriously, I feel like a Zombie...
    Fingers crossed you are feeling better. I was going to have a flu jab but so many people have had flu after the jab I think I'll pass.

    Talking of jabs, I've just had PRP. Ouch!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content






  3. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Fingers crossed you are feeling better. I was going to have a flu jab but so many people have had flu after the jab I think I'll pass.

    Talking of jabs, I've just had PRP. Ouch!

    Aw,I am sorry, Miss PiP..... hopefully you will have excellent results..... **hugs**
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  4. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Fingers crossed you are feeling better. I was going to have a flu jab but so many people have had flu after the jab I think I'll pass.

    Talking of jabs, I've just had PRP. Ouch!
    Just gonna pop in here and say "No, you don't get the flu from flu shots." There's a long complicated answer for why I can say this unequivocally. You can feel sick for days after getting the shot--that's actually to be expected--but you won't actually get the flu.

    What's happening is "complement." There are many firewalls and defenses in your immune system. Fevers are part of complement, and complement is activated when your body recognizes a threat. In the case of vaccines, the antigens which are part of the vaccine--what make vaccines work and protect you in the first place--activate complement. There's no fully potent live flu virus in that vaccine, so you're not going to get flu from it--unless you already had flu and didn't realize it until after you got the vaccine. That happens quite often because of incubation periods.

    Now, you might get flu after the vaccine because flu is a gnarly beastie of a virus and basically has viral chromosomes that get mishmashed together in weird ways when two flu genomes meet in the same cell. Flus also mutate like any other virus, and any vaccine for the flu has to be made months in advance based on best guesses. Sometimes those guesses are way off, so the vaccine won't protect as much. Most of the time, they're not terribly off and will still provide a goodly bit of protection.

    Pay attention to those H's and N's because those are the big antigens to watch out for. If you've already bumped into this or that H or N, you'll have an easier time beating flus with those same numbers if they come around again. There's also different letter grades of flu, but only B and A will do much, and only A's able to kill you (unless you're immunocompromised; B and C aren't generally much to worry about).
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

    "Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Recovering from a bout of the flu... I went for my flu shot in October but.... the flu shot does not mean I will not get the flu, just that it will not be as bad.... &&%$^**.... seriously, I feel like a Zombie...
    Sorry you're feeling icky, and hoping for a speedy recovery.


    Usually the flu isn't as bad after the shot, but sometimes the best guess for whichever strain was going to be big that year was way off, and sometimes seroconversion doesn't happen. Vaccines aren't foolproof. Everyone wants to think they're 100% effective, but they're not. Lots of reasons for it, but not everyone gets the long-term immune system support (memory B cells specific to whatever was in the vaccine) after the vaccine.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

    "Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

  6. #226
    I am trying to write a story for next week's Lean and Mean prompt and it is not going well. How should I know how to write about "a date" when I've been married for centuries? But I can't complain too much when I picked out the prompt. Oh wait, yes I can. :p

  7. #227
    Some stories just don't want to be written.

  8. #228
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I am trying to write a story for next week's Lean and Mean prompt and it is not going well. How should I know how to write about "a date" when I've been married for centuries? But I can't complain too much when I picked out the prompt. Oh wait, yes I can. :p
    Forget about the date. Write about immortality, since you've obviously mastered it.

  9. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Sorry you're feeling icky, and hoping for a speedy recovery.


    Usually the flu isn't as bad after the shot, but sometimes the best guess for whichever strain was going to be big that year was way off, and sometimes seroconversion doesn't happen. Vaccines aren't foolproof. Everyone wants to think they're 100% effective, but they're not. Lots of reasons for it, but not everyone gets the long-term immune system support (memory B cells specific to whatever was in the vaccine) after the vaccine.


    Aww, Thank you so much ... My Doctor insists that I get a flu shot... all of my chemo and radiation treatments has destroyed my immune system... I am better, but it such a slow process....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  10. #230
    Trying to write, ugh. More importantly, I really need to paint my front door because my house exterior is very boring. Maybe red or blue, I don't know.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.