Concentrating on Writing Style - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concentrating on Writing Style

Quote Originally Posted by lumino View Post
    Should you concentrate on writing style when writing? Is it true that writing style cannot be achieved by concentrating on it?
    No. Substance is what matters.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    How you arrange those words and substance on paper is your style, however imperfect it is. You then sharpen that style with edits. Your style is there the moment you tap on a keyboard or put pen to paper.
    Hidden Content
    Over 18s Only, 21 in some States.

Blog Entries
    Should you concentrate on writing style when writing? Is it true that writing style cannot be achieved by concentrating on it?
    For me I found my style as I wrote my stories (I have several fanfictions under my belt for those who were curious). I would simply pick a voice to tell the story with and go from there. The style of the voice changed in some and stayed the same in others.

Now should you concentrate on your style when writing? I have to admit I didn't really have to concentrate on mine while writing. It just came naturally to me as I wrote. Is it true that writing style cannot be achieved by concentrating on it? No. Whoever said that is just wrong.

In one of my recent fanfictions I focused on telling a little bit of the story from the villains perspective and that drastically changed the style of my writing. Writing Style depends on a number of factors, such as,

Your own 'voice' when you write.

Your choice of genre that you write.

Your target audience that your writing for.

And who's perspective are you writing from.

Any one of these can drastically change the style of writing that you have going at any given time. Hope this helps!
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

One thing I question is whether he is saying whether you can manipulate style ( as in concentrate to manipulate it) and plenty of answers say yes but have other educational backgrounds different from most among us. Can people concentrate to manipulate for coherency? I think so. Depends on the goals of benchmarks or skills you want from a book. You have an infinite amount of answers as well. From variety in sentence length and so forth. With practice it can be done or learned. It is a question open to interpretation like the post below me which is why it is a good question.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; May 19th, 2019 at 05:22 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Blog Entries
    I'm a little bit different in that I've admired style/voice all my writing career. I had accumulated several writers who I believed had a certain knack for bending one word against another, and doing it superbly well. They all had great senses of irony and humor. They all had that "something." That "It." I was not taught, nor did I concentrate on style/voice. I'm a product of, a mashup of all those who I admired.

Oh...Joseph Wambaugh, Poul Anderson, Alan Dean Foster, Peter Benchley, Michael Crichton, and a wee bit of Stephen King. Not what they said--the way they said it.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Should you concentrate on writing style when writing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    I would disagree. I think both matter, but they are different things. If you deliver a story focusing on substance, you could end up with a report. Style is like personality, which can feed into character voice, or narrative voice, or what have you. I mean, substance is great, you need it otherwise you have no story, but to do it without style would just be too boring imo.

Is it true that writing style cannot be achieved by concentrating on it?
    Hmm. Interesting question. I think - in my experience - style has to be within you, wanting to come out. Substance is the engine of a story, style is the bodywork.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

My first reaction is to groan when I even hear the words "style" or "voice, because I've most often heard those words from new writers complaining that a critique tried to "ruin their style" (or their voice) when they really seemed to just not want to be critiqued (which makes you wonder why they requested critiques then, but anyway...)

But I'm sure some people do consciously try to cultivate a style. I don't think about it at all though.
    Last edited by Ma'am; May 20th, 2019 at 06:19 AM.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    Style comes in many waves: always shifting. ... Style is everything. ... Just relax, write in a voice you'd love to have come at you, and let it shift and change with each character, showing that diversity with creativity and how it all changes according to context.
    Aquilo, you've just made for yourself a new fan.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12