The rules and regulations - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The rules and regulations

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I don't think its so much they didn't realize it but more that there were some very real problems with basic comprehensibility occurring. Up until that point English had existed with such lawlessness strong regional dialects often lack mutual intelligibility.

There's a story about King Charles I (I believe) who received a letter written in English from one of his subjects in far-northern England and it had to be translated into French because the English King, who was born and raised in England, was far more able to understand French than he was a regional version of his own language.

Point is that I think the idea of standardization was a net positive and inevitable in any case, since you can hardly run a functioning modern nation in a country where there is no lingua franca. But of course a lot of these 'rules and regulations' are pretty irrelevant, especially nowadays.
    Strong regional dialects were the province of the working classes, who were mainly illiterate in the 1800's. The literate, educated classes spoke received English no matter where they came from. The breakdown of strong dialects came later during the first world war when regional regiments were decimated and the fragments united. The process was accelerated by the death of so many young junior officers that the new middle classes were promoted into the officer ranks, previously the preserve of the upper classes, and by the coming of the BBC radio and BBC English. Amongst those who were running the country there was a common language, received English, with a common grammar, but the rules of grammar appealed to a Victorian sense of order. There was not grammatical lawlessness, but they wanted something like spelling books to sit down and learn rules from. Same sort of thing with actual handwriting, children had 'copy books' with an ideal example at the top of the page and then half a dozen lines below to copy it as near as possible, no individualism. This was about the same time uniforms came into vogue. The illiterate masses who spoke dialect with various grammatical peculiarities counted for nothing but a pool of labour and ordinary soldiers.
    Charles the first you are going back to the first part of the 1600's, that's a long time.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

But Charles I was still kind of Scottish wasn't he? Born there I'd think. So maybe no problem with northern dialects. Which probably wouldn't be written anyway. They chopped his head off for some reason; not to do with grammar most likely. ....... What I had in mind for fiction vs non-fiction are the journalistic and academic style guides like Shrunk or Chicago, et al, which are often referenced here even though they're maybe not especially pertinent. That's a spot where you'd expect to find the don't start with a conjunction and don't end with a preposition kind of deal, as well as considerable punctuation regulation, tailored to the requirements of certain professions.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post

P.S I have never heard anybody use 'brackish' to describe dirty water. Brackish water is a mix of fresh and salt water.
    My mother's core was rotten like the brackish water at the bottom of a weeks-old vase of flowers.
    From The Almost Moon. It seemed like you didn't believe me. (I read that a few nights ago.)
    Looking for people to beta a chapter or more of my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools for Better Writing. Go Hidden Content
    As always, useful information you can't find anywhere else.

Hidden Content

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456