How to finish this friggin' thing? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to finish this friggin' thing?

First of all, congratulations!

Now, my two cents: If you are just coming to the end, that means what you actually have is a rough draft or maybe something beyond that if you've kept up on it along the way, but still not something that's expected to be a finished product at this stage. It is supposed to be a mess at this stage, to one degree or another. Most of us can't write a whole novel straight through and have it come out coherent and cohesive and tightly knit and wrapped up with a big bow at the end.

So I think you are probably doing just fine and just need to cut yourself some slack and remember you can do it. I agree with the others about letting it rest for a little while. In the meantime, consider studying plotting etc. if you haven't already. Then come back to it with a fresh perspective and start polishing. Good luck.

I'm not sure if this will help but just because it's a disappointment to the guy looking for the murderer doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a disappointment to the reader. When someone's looking for a murderer they rarely find Hannibal Lecter. It doesn't sound at all boring to me it just doesn't sound like the ending of an action film, but could be the ending of a great book. The important thing is a conclusion.
    Don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone wants an action ending. Done well I think it could be a refreshing end to the tale.

I find that problems with the ending of a story aren't usually that big of a deal. It's fairly easy to cut, reshape and replace an ending. Problems with the middle of the story are much tougher because they can lead to continuity problems if you're not really careful.

Don't sweat it, OP. Everybody kind of hates their first draft. Just let it sit for a few weeks and recharge and then go back and revamp as needed.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Thanks for all your encouragement folks.

Don't rush it.
    WALK down into that valley...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12