A History of The World!

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A History of The World!

Blog Entries

A History of The World!

Here's a rather condensed version of the timeline folks.

2020: Mars 1 becomes the first human outpost established on another planet. In a little over a year the colony is thriving and with it's success several other space ventures are green lit including NASA's moon base operation.

2024: Preparations for the Lunar Base are underway after extensive test's done on the moons surface. Construction lasts for the better part of a year.

2025: Lunar Base 1 is established and open for the whole world to come by and visit. Plan's are drawn up to start using Mars 1 and Lunar 1 as platforms for further space faring operations.

2027: Work on advanced A.I. begins in order to help smoothly operate the equipment being sent into space. The project is dubbed Icarus.

2031: The first space mining vessel of the newly created United Mining Federation is built on Mars and sent out on its maiden voyage to study the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Along for the maiden voyage is Dr. Lancaster, a government scientist sent along to study a mysterious signal being broadcast through space.

2049: New innovations in A.I. technology allow for the creation of self replicating nano machines. With these new advancements as well as cybernetic enhancements Dr Lancaster is given an extended lifespan far exceeding that of a normal human being. Due to some new brain computer inter-phase technology new branches of artificial intelligence research can begin.

2050-54: New engines are being produced for deep space mining operations. Test's are a resounding success baring the Atlantis disaster.

2053: During a routine test of the U.M.F's Atlantis vessel it's experimental warp drive malfunctions leading to the disappearance of the ship and crew. The government cover's up the disappearances as an accident meanwhile they assign the rest of the team working on the warp drive to a new task force dedicated to find out what went wrong in the first place as well as find the missing ship and crew.

2057: The first test's of a new form of powered armor are underway as well as testing of plasma weaponry. Upon the testing's success the next phase of project Hercules will move forward.

2065: With super solder's now on the field of battle new avenues of research are opened up including the creation of human/animal hybrids as viable options for further experimentation.

2094: Dr Lancaster is now a head researcher on Project Helios, an advanced experimental space based A.I. system being built by the military to lead there newly created cybernetic army. He then implant's a jamming signal into Helios's code for later use.

2156: With all of his plan's set in place Dr Lancaster set's his plan of world wide experimentation in motion. Gaining control of Helios Lancaster jam's all communication's with both the Lunar Base and Mars 1. He then infects the army's cybernetic soldier's with a nano virus. With his first step complete Lancaster instigate's a world war reducing the human population to a mere 20% of it's number's.

2223: Axle is one of the few cybernetic soldier's left not to fall victim to the nano plague. As one of the few remaining human beings left on the planet he is forced to head to an Ark, a refuge from the world and the war around it. He along with some of humanity are put into stasis pods and put to sleep to ride out the worst of the ongoing war.

????, N.E. Axle awaken's to find the world he is in is no longer the one he know's. As he walks the halls of the ruined citadel he stumble's across a message from an A.I. known only as mother. The message beg's whoever's left to help keep the last of the human race safe. With all of his gear in tow Axle set's out to find the last vestige's of humanity and see of there is any way he can help save it.
    Last edited by Rojack79; May 15th, 2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Correction.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Great. Wonderful. Have you written anything other than this? Like a real story?
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Great. Wonderful. Have you written anything other than this? Like a real story?
    I'm going to get to work on my outline's for the first few books as soon as I have the time. My job right now is really hectic. But getting a little bit done day by day on each chapter is going to be fun.

Whoah! Massiv Dude. No details, but have you got some scenes already?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazz cargo View Post
    Whoah! Massiv Dude. No details, but have you got some scenes already?
    Oh yes. Plenty of scenes stuck in my head ready to be put to paper. Sadly I have to take this one small step at a time. But I want this to be the best that I can make it. So slow and steady is the name of the game for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I'm going to get to work on my outline's for the first few books as soon as I have the time. My job right now is really hectic. But getting a little bit done day by day on each chapter is going to be fun.
    Look, great, but how much of this stuff is going to be in your story? I mean actually in your story, not maybe mentioned in a line here or there or in some imagined epilogue?

Probably not much.

You'll probably say I'm wrong. Maybe, but I bet I'm not. See, there's this Murphy's Law thing that usually happens when people plan out their world where no sooner do they start writing and actually trying to use the stuff they've spent hours, days, weeks or sometimes (god help us) months or years planning they realize it doesn't actually gel. Like, none of it.

I was recently listening to one of those university "A Conversation With Author X" and the author was George RR Martin. There's a guy who has an insane level of world-building and history. He was asked about this a lot and basically was adamant that YOU DON'T WRITE THE HISTORY FIRST. He said when he began 'Game Of Thrones' he started writing with nothing more than a single scene in mind (the first chapter with dire wolves) and planned nothing. What's more he said if he had, he would have probably never got the books written. It would have overwhelmed him.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't plan anything but based on this post and the now several threads you have started over the last few days revolving around similar stuff - planning details and background, not writing story and substance - I would suggest you maybe consider not devoting too much further time to development start writing the story.

This isn't a history class. There's only so much 'slow and steady' lets-figure-out-everything-down-to-the-color-of-the-curtains quote-unquote PLANNING that you should be doing in lieu of writing.

There'll be plenty of time for the rest, as Martin said, once you get into the story a little more. But setting yourself up with an extremely detailed (and therefore extremely rigid) history with nothing yet written is back assward.

Of course, you're free to argue I am wrong and I expect you probably will. I am merely trying to save you time and frustration. I spent years on this kind of stuff myself and wish I had not.
    Last edited by luckyscars; May 17th, 2019 at 07:22 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

There's nothing wrong with the author knowing this, but the balance comes with what the reader then needs to know and when. I like the drip-feed approach: just as little as the story unfolds. World-building is like handling flashbacks: done right, it's just a natural part of the story, done wrong, and it's battered sausage in a cake shop.
    Hidden Content
    Psychopaths & Sinners (Don't... Book 5)

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Look, great, but how much of this stuff is going to be in your story? I mean actually in your story, not maybe mentioned in a line here or there or in some imagined epilogue?

Probably not much.

You'll probably say I'm wrong. Maybe, but I bet I'm not. See, there's this Murphy's Law thing that usually happens when people plan out their world where no sooner do they start writing and actually trying to use the stuff they've spent hours, days, weeks or sometimes (god help us) months or years planning they realize it doesn't actually gel. Like, none of it.

I was recently listening to one of those university "A Conversation With Author X" and the author was George RR Martin. There's a guy who has an insane level of world-building and history. He was asked about this a lot and basically was adamant that YOU DON'T WRITE THE HISTORY FIRST. He said when he began 'Game Of Thrones' he started writing with nothing more than a single scene in mind (the first chapter with dire wolves) and planned nothing. What's more he said if he had, he would have probably never got the books written. It would have overwhelmed him.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't plan anything but based on this post and the now several threads you have started over the last few days revolving around similar stuff - planning details and background, not writing story and substance - I would suggest you maybe consider not devoting too much further time to development start writing the story.

This isn't a history class. There's only so much 'slow and steady' lets-figure-out-everything-down-to-the-color-of-the-curtains quote-unquote PLANNING that you should be doing in lieu of writing.

There'll be plenty of time for the rest, as Martin said, once you get into the story a little more. But setting yourself up with an extremely detailed (and therefore extremely rigid) history with nothing yet written is back assward.

Of course, you're free to argue I am wrong and I expect you probably will. I am merely trying to save you time and frustration. I spent years on this kind of stuff myself and wish I had not.
    Not to sound hotty but just because RR Martin writes his stories one way doesn't mean I have to do the same. With all due respect my stories are vastly different from his and so is my writing style and the way I get my stories off the ground. This timeline is just the first step in my personal journey in writing. It's not going to be the same as everyone else's. I personally don't much better writing my stories when I have a roadmap to help guide me along.

Not to sound hotty but just because RR Martin writes his stories one way doesn't mean I have to do the same. With all due respect my stories are vastly different from his and so is my writing style and the way I get my stories off the ground. This timeline is just the first step in my personal journey in writing. It's not going to be the same as everyone else's. I personally don't much better writing my stories when I have a roadmap to help guide me along.
    Touched a nerve I see...

Rojack, your reasoning is predicated on the notion that you are somehow an exceptional case. It’s the old “My writing approach is different because my story is different and I’m vastly different...therefore all the hard-learned lessons and combined wisdom of writers who have not merely started but actually completed work don’t apply to me” appeal to ego.

So you know what? Fine. You keep thinking you are somehow cut from a different cloth, that you are able to approach writing in this “vastly different” way and not merely dig yourself into a hole, and may it bring you much success. I’ll leave it to others to tell you how great your ideas are.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

2020: Mars 1 becomes the first human outpost established on another planet. In a little over a year the colony is thriving and with it's success several other space ventures are green lit including NASA's moon base operation.
    Next year? By the time you write and publish any story that is going to be wrong, making your story alternative history rather than straight sci-fi - which might be what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I thought Tolkien built his worlds first then created a story within them? I don't think there's a right or wrong way of world building (within extreme parameters); there's the risk of boring with world details whichever way (The Similarion anyone?). Maybe that risk is higher for worlds built first (does any collate stats on these things?), but there are precedents for popular stories either way.

With many computer games now emphasising world building I wonder whether there is a generational divide in this too?

Does anyone know how Terry Pratchett built his worlds and stories? One of my favourite world builds.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast