You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

Ever since taking on my new approach in January (described here ) I have been writing and submitting a short story on a different theme according to submission calls, submitting new work approximately once a week...

Well, just five months later, and it worked Today and yesterday I received two 'yes's' via email, both for themed horror anthologies by two different, reputable small press publishers (I do my research) scheduled for release in October and December 2019. I just signed both contracts. Pay is nothing spectacular, they're just 2,000 word-ish short stories and the pay is essentially a token amount ($40 and ($25) plus royalties, but that's fine by me - I'm just looking for experience/credits/exposure at this point. This is not my living by any stretch.

Kind of funny that my first piece published in over a decade for work that frankly I thought were OK but not my best-ever and in a genre I don't generally read much of any certainly don't prefer to write. But you know what? Irrelevant. I'll write horror or thriller or dwarf erotica or anything else until the cows come home if it means I get to tell my stories.

Anyway, I wanted to share this here because I want to say again that I think it's really important to keep churning out work and not letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, as I did for many years. Before this year I had not published anything commercially. I have spent years umm-ing and ahh-ing over work that never got done. While I don't believe any writing is wasted writing the fact is I could have got a lot further if I'd taken it seriously eight years ago. Not to mention my writing has improved exponentially just by maintaining productivity.

So shut up and go write, even if it's crap, is essentially the point I am rambling on. Thank you for listening
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Awesome news! Well done Really ought to buck my ideas up and try this myself...

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Huge congrats, lucky! Writing's tough, so you take each acceptance and celebrate like its a five-book deal. You've earned it. Writing's always got that 'rinse-repeat' exhaustion to it, so moments like getting a contract eases all the grief. Here's to more...!

I have problems believing that my work is worth the effort. I also tend to have big idea for settings, and not so much for plot. It means I tend to stall out about halfway through an idea, with no idea where it is going. Nothing to do but keep trying.

Congratulations! Great advice, too!
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Yo Dude, well nailed. Iceberg chipping is tedious but if you have the eye you will achieve plenty of cool drinks. Thanks for the fresh breeze. Bol Dude.
    BC

Dwarf erotica...huh. I guess it pays to know your market. :}
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Quote Originally Posted by Bardling View Post
    I have problems believing that my work is worth the effort. I also tend to have big idea for settings, and not so much for plot. It means I tend to stall out about halfway through an idea, with no idea where it is going. Nothing to do but keep trying.
    I hate most of what I write too. Seriously, it's like listening to my own voice on the phone, I can't stand it. The stories I am speaking about here...I honestly think pretty much suck. I mean, obviously I don't think they really suck, or I would never have sent them in...but they are flawed across the board and nobody will ever convince my they aren't. For the most part I see them as downright cringeworthy at some times, clumsily written pieces of jackoffery at others. At the very most all I can do is summon a shrug and say "oh, that's not too bad I guess..." but that's literally the kind of level at which I personally view my own work. Because, well, it's my work.

And you know what? I actually think that's normal. It's always so damn easy to see the problems with things. To some extent we (humans) are probably programmed that way. But work isn't separate from effort, work is effort. At a certain point you have to let go and just write the best you can. And then, once you have, then don't throw it away - do something with it. Because why not?

If your work is lacking, it's likely as much because of lack of confidence and therefore motivation than it is because you lack the competency to tell a good story. But fixating on problems with one's work does not result in better work. Only practice does.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    But work isn't separate from effort, work is effort. At a certain point you have to let go and just write the best you can. And then, once you have, then don't throw it away - do something with it. Because why not?

If your work is lacking, it's likely as much because of lack of confidence and therefore motivation than it is because you lack the competency to tell a good story. But fixating on problems with one's work does not result in better work. Only practice does.
    Inspiring! VERY nicely put.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast