You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

I am a firm believer in having something to say. A good story poorly written, is better than bad story told well. There are lots of writers, that are technically very good at what they do, they just have nothing to say, have no idea how to say it or even make it interesting. I have seen lots of writers here who can pick up on the smallest mistake yet when I read some of their stories, they fall flat. I don't ever tell people I am a writer, I am a storyteller. To sell something requires both. Lucky there must have been more to the stories you sold than your sharing...just a hunch.

I personally think good writing comes from being excited about what you have to say, and the perceived effect it will have on the listener. Maybe this is coming from a public speaking background. When speaking you can tell right away when your losing the audience. You can adjust your words, your inflection, your pace to get them back. When you write you always have to guess if your boring them or giving them to much detail or not enough.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Blog Entries
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

This is a quote from Wayne Gretsky. I just thought to mention this.

Congrats on the publication. Are you going to share links, where to get the publications when the stories are printed?
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Well done, Lucky.
    Stephen King is looking over his shoulder (after turning his head 180 degrees).

Always nice to hear peoples success stories and a massive congratulations to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    I am a firm believer in having something to say. A good story poorly written, is better than bad story told well. There are lots of writers, that are technically very good at what they do, they just have nothing to say, have no idea how to say it or even make it interesting. I have seen lots of writers here who can pick up on the smallest mistake yet when I read some of their stories, they fall flat. I don't ever tell people I am a writer, I am a storyteller. To sell something requires both. Lucky there must have been more to the stories you sold than your sharing...just a hunch.

I personally think good writing comes from being excited about what you have to say, and the perceived effect it will have on the listener. Maybe this is coming from a public speaking background. When speaking you can tell right away when your losing the audience. You can adjust your words, your inflection, your pace to get them back. When you write you always have to guess if your boring them or giving them to much detail or not enough.
    Good points, Plasticweld.

I have a weird relationship with writing in that I almost never talk about it in real life. Nobody even knows I write besides my immediate family and even then I hardly ever discuss it with them. It's not like it's a secret. I just don't enjoy the identity of A Writer. I don't think it's special or admirable or interesting or glamorous or sexy or any of that shit.

To me, writing is not some big vocation. I think a writer is not what you are, it's what you do, and if you're lucky you make a living doing it....but even if that is the case, there seems no more reason why 'A Writer' should need to talk about or 'take pride' in their writing anymore than some guy who wipes butts for a living should need to talk about or 'take pride' in the different forms of turd they have had to sponge. This is only my opinion, I don't exactly recommend viewing things that way, only to say I tend to mistrust writers who espouse a high opinion of their work or manifest a lot of 'confidence' in it. People who act like writing a story has some intrinsic value beyond being one small facet of human reality.

On the other hand, far from being negative, I am constantly energized by what I put down on the page. Not because I think it's awesome but because there's such raw catharsis in doing it. Plus, even if one never thinks their work is actually 'good' just knowing that it's still better than what was done yesterday or whatever. The idea that one is progressing is itself very motivating. So I guess to that extent you are right and I do get excited about my work and maybe sometimes, like in these two pieces, it came through.

Quote Originally Posted by MzSnowleopard View Post
    You Miss 100% Of The Shots You Don't Take.

This is a quote from Wayne Gretsky. I just thought to mention this.

Congrats on the publication. Are you going to share links, where to get the publications when the stories are printed?
    Lovely Wayne.

They're not out until the fall/winter so all I've got is the publishing contracts. Anyway I'm still on the 'one new short story a week' drive plus constantly soliciting the rest of my material that I have yet to sell - I am essentially sending out between 2 and 10 submissions nightly right now - so the goal is to get more crap out there by then. Hopefully this is just the beginning.
    Last edited by luckyscars; May 16th, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

I will confess Lucky there are a few times when I play the writer card. If I do a local event or local interview I am quick to let the someone know. I did a story last year about Track Days at Watkins Glen for the local paper. It got me a reduced price for the day, more track time and time in a variety of cars with some top notch instructors. I spent two days racing around the track in everything from a Porsche Cayman to a Dodge Hurricane, it was a great chance to get some more seat time and learn the track. I also more track time in my Corvette as a result.

That being said, I also got to know some really cool people who race and love cars. I had people seek me out while I was there, spend time with me. They patiently answered my questions and smiled when I took their photo. I was there to tell a story, it was their story, but for a few days I got to be part of it.

Everybody loves a story about themselves and doing interviews has opened a lot of doors for me, it has also given me some real friends over the years. But this is journalism not just spinning yarns, I have found that just about everyone has a story if you ask, I enjoy asking

You mentioned that your family does not really acknowledge that you are a writer, have you written about any of them? My guess is that any story that included them and some of your family history might change the way they view what you do.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Ever since taking on my new approach in January (described here ) I have been writing and submitting a short story on a different theme according to submission calls, submitting new work approximately once a week...

Well, just five months later, and it worked Today and yesterday I received two 'yes's' via email, both for themed horror anthologies by two different, reputable small press publishers (I do my research) scheduled for release in October and December 2019. I just signed both contracts. Pay is nothing spectacular, they're just 2,000 word-ish short stories and the pay is essentially a token amount ($40 and ($25) plus royalties, but that's fine by me - I'm just looking for experience/credits/exposure at this point. This is not my living by any stretch.

Kind of funny that my first piece published in over a decade for work that frankly I thought were OK but not my best-ever and in a genre I don't generally read much of any certainly don't prefer to write. But you know what? Irrelevant. I'll write horror or thriller or dwarf erotica or anything else until the cows come home if it means I get to tell my stories.

Anyway, I wanted to share this here because I want to say again that I think it's really important to keep churning out work and not letting the perfect become the enemy of the good, as I did for many years. Before this year I had not published anything commercially. I have spent years umm-ing and ahh-ing over work that never got done. While I don't believe any writing is wasted writing the fact is I could have got a lot further if I'd taken it seriously eight years ago. Not to mention my writing has improved exponentially just by maintaining productivity.

So shut up and go write, even if it's crap, is essentially the point I am rambling on. Thank you for listening
    I have been reading Do the work, and this reminds me of that. Basically nothing is as valuable as actually doing the project, and sometimes it is crap, but you've got to start somewhere! Congrats on the acceptance.

Acceptance number three came in today 'With revisions'.

Not totally sure what 'with revisions' means yet but it's probably going to end up being a yes especially for the pay on this one.

Pretty exciting. Write, submit, write, submit!
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12