Do you think it's a cop out when villains do a 'suicide by hero'? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think it's a cop out when villains do a 'suicide by hero'?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I have known many, many criminals, and the idea of one killing themselves to avoid a prison stint is primarily fantasy. The same character defects that made them criminals also precludes the scenario.
    Essentially, habitual criminals are self-centered, ego-centric, and generally selfish. Why do rapists kill their victims? Because prison is inconvenient.

I would more believe your villain thinking himself invincible and getting killed by the cops, but bad people committing suicide by cop is inconsistent.
    Agree with this. Back in my legal days I would often work for clients who had done things that were so egregious not only were they never getting out of jail but they were going to have a terrible time in jail and it was still relatively rare such people ever considered suicide. Human nature means we tend to be blinded to the hopelessness of our situation until it is right there, and psychopaths in particular always think they can game the system.

unless the suspect is either mentally ill or under the influence I see suicide by cop as inherently implausible.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    I have known many, many criminals, and the idea of one killing themselves to avoid a prison stint is primarily fantasy. The same character defects that made them criminals also precludes the scenario.
    Essentially, habitual criminals are self-centered, ego-centric, and generally selfish. Why do rapists kill their victims? Because prison is inconvenient.

I would more believe your villain thinking himself invincible and getting killed by the cops, but bad people committing suicide by cop is inconsistent.
    Well that's what I meant more so, is that he villain thinks of herself as invincible and thinks she can kill the main character before he or the other cops kill her, which is not motivated suicide on her part, but still is in the sense that she is getting herself killed, by choosing to do so.

It'd be better if he got the drop on them, and your heroine uses her skills to put him down.
    If she's a real bad-ass, then let her stick him in the side of the head with a knife in an evidence bag or something uncharted. Make her a bad-ass.

Remember; villains are there to make the hero look good. So if this guy just gets himself killed by a buncha [male] officers, then your heroine is really just a Disney Princess (has all her problems solved by a man.)
    If you took the time to build this guy up, don;t waste him. Use him to make your heroine be the bad-ass she was meant to be. Hell, let her kill him with a stilletto from a hooker's shoe.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to imply that the hero is a woman. The hero is a man and the main villain is a woman.

I think I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12