Your Rules On Writing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Rules On Writing

Blog Entries

Your Rules On Writing

Participating in another thread made me curious about this. I have 2 primary rules that I try my best to stick to. I'm curious about what rules others have when they're writing.

1. Show don't Tell
    2. KIS - Keep It Simple!
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Always move the plot, always end a scene on a tease, everything on the page must cause or show change.

i write for seduction. or i write for revenge. all my muses are female. i write for the muse. these are basically my only "rules".
    if the writing is good enough to get a reaction from the muse herself? i figure it's good enough to be published.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Always write for someone. It makes you craft your story better and, I find, makes the pieces fall together.

1. Don't bullsh*t, just write it first

One that serves me quite well is: "If it's not great...it's shit."

As a side project between short stories I am currently combing back through a novel draft I wrote in 2017. The first chapter was 6,000 words. Yup, six thousand for one f-ing scene. The closer i looked, the more i noticed how many unnecessary descriptions, tangential musings, questionable pieces of dialogue, etc etc. I deleted it. It's now 2,800 and ten times better. All it took was a little attention, less ego, and increased respect for a prospective reader's time. Nobody's writing is good enough to justify mediocrity.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    One that serves me quite well is: "If it's not great...it's shit."

Nobody's writing is good enough to justify mediocrity.
    I like these 2.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I only have one - Try to ensure that it's not gibberish...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Just one this end:

If in doubt, pull it out.

If you're at a point where it's boring you, then it'll bore the reader too. So cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    Just one this end:

If in doubt, pull it out.

If you're at a point where it's boring you, then it'll bore the reader too. So cut it.
    i like this one. because i pretty much wrote my first novel in a blackout. wife and kid disappeared. took it out on the book with
    a whole lot of merlot and narcotics. but...when i read it....i can tell these points when i'm just "writing to be writing" or "rambling"
    or sometimes "blithering on". it's actually very interesting to read your own damn book for the first time when it gets sent to you in the mailbox. lol
    and then i was still fucked in my head enough to bitch at the publisher about the edits. lol. but i know what you're saying. if you are writing
    for no other reason than just to hit a word count? you need to delete that shit. because no one is gonna feel it if you don't.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast