Prayer of Socks

Thread: Prayer of Socks

Prayer of Socks

Little freaked out tonight, so I called on an old friend...

Prayer of Socks

Socks of blue, tippet of white
    hear these words murmured
    to the hollow sky this night.

Take the shivers, the fright—
    and into an ocean bottle
    bind it, sealed up tight.

By the Fox, lode star light,
    show them the Safeways
    o’er the Doldrums tonight.

So soft and innocent, this beautiful prayer... whispered in the ear of a socks fox, and who better to talk to than an old steadfast friend and companion.... wish I may, wish I might, give you the comfort that you need tonight....*Hugs* to you and your fabulous fox...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

So dream-like. I can't find anything to say about the piece.

yep lovely as always. Thank you for the read.

Quote Originally Posted by killerbees View Post
    So dream-like. I can't find anything to say about the piece.
    Not sure if that means the piece is good, bad, indifferent, or chaotic neutral...

Hello Darkkin, I've read your poem several times and find it intriguing and a beautiful prayer for a Safe return. (I love the play om words throughout the poem) It took a while to get the metaphor but now I see how clever it is. It's lovely writing in a good classic style (which I know to my cost is not easy) so you deserve much praise.

The regularity of the form is quite remarkable, each line one a reflection of each and the last two running together gives a feel of swell. Each stanza like a wave. I'm assuming the sea.

Excellent poem, kudos to you. ....T.

@Thomas

Not the sea itself, although it is definitely the setting, but a call to one who knows the ways over the sea, the ways to all places...because he is in possession of the constellations he can chart a course from anywhere to anywhere. He is the Star Socks Fox. Made of socks, both starred and white, he is a guardian against bogeys and other terrors of the dark. He carries the stories in the stars, and shines when the night is at its deepest. A beacon through the bleakness. The patterns are based on those of childhood verses like Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep and First Star. The prayer is an echo over the waves you hope someone hears.

To all who took the time to read and comment. Thank you. It is appreciated. Star Socks Fox shines only because he has readers.

- D.
    Last edited by Darkkin; May 23rd, 2019 at 02:24 AM.

This was wonderful Darkkin. Each line built on each other, flowing forth with wondrous imagery and filled with prowess- to take one's fears and send them away, far across the sea, making safe the night. That's how I read into it. The fox felt, to me, like the shining beacon watching over all those who need.

As you said:

By the Fox, lode star light,
    show them the Safeways
    o’er the Doldrums tonight.

Excellent work.

Your fine words explaining the poem also serve as the complementary literary analysis that I really enjoy having alongside the ride, like a companion to lead the path through the forest so that one does not get lost along the way.

Keep it up!

Thank you so much for the explanation D. I had not heard of the Star Socks Fox, I shall certainly be looking that up.

Reading the poem again with that information I see it clearly and how wrong I was! I suppose in some ways a poem can have many meanings beyond the poet's intention, as understood by he reader. I have certainly found this with some of my poems. Whatever that may be it is still a very beautiful poem and a great pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing. ...T.