Not trying to rip off the Writing style of A Song of Ice and Fire

Thread: Not trying to rip off the Writing style of A Song of Ice and Fire

Not trying to rip off the Writing style of A Song of Ice and Fire

Hi with my latest idea for a Tudor era Hard Fantasy Historical setting, my problem is that there are Two things to the Writing style that I would like to avoid.

The First is using real life Landmass for the setting, for the Plantagenet empire.

Second problem is the POV Chapters, if I wrote like that in each chapter the Publisher would feel that I'm ripping or leeching off the fame of this series.

LW

Personally, I don't think it matters. If your writing and story are great, then the novel can make money. I don't think it's really possible to not copy any previous writer anyway, there will always be similarities with someone's work. You should write it how you think it should be and focus on writing it well, don't worry about the rest. Lots of people like to read familiar styles and formats, too.

Arachne
    You can view my website Hidden Content
    And find me on Twitter Hidden Content

Hidden Content

'Everything in life is writeable if you have the outgoing guts to do it. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt'

- Sylvia Plath

Ah writing well some you have seen by samples of Writing, it's not well there posted on other forum such as David Weber's or Baen Bar Forum.

I can only use the Tools that I've got they aren't the sharpest but they work, I want this setting and idea for novel series to work.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Hi with my latest idea for a Tudor era Hard Fantasy Historical setting, my problem is that there are Two things to the Writing style that I would like to avoid.

The First is using real life Landmass for the setting, for the Plantagenet empire.
    This makes no sense.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

If it's historical, shouldn't you use a real life setting..?
    And I really wouldn't worry about your style being compared to the style of a successful author—unless the successful author is one of the two who everyone loves to pan for good reason. That's a compliment if anything. The story is still yours.

Well I know that the creator of A Song of Ice and Fire hates Fan Fiction, since his HBO take off of his series he probably has an army of Lawyers to protect him.

Now about the Landmass in A Song of Ice and Fire use a Map of North America flipped upside down for Westos, I don't want to do that for my Landmasses.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Now about the Landmass in A Song of Ice and Fire use a Map of North America flipped upside down for Westos, I don't want to do that for my Landmasses.

LW
    You are wrong. Westeros is based on an inverted map of the British Isles, not North America.

When you say 'I don't want to do that' what exactly do you mean? You mean you don't want your world to resemble a specific landmass? That's quite easy to fix. Get a pencil, close your eyes, draw a random shape = Original Landmass.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Or heck, there's a Twitter bot that creates a fictional map every hour from various procedural stuff. Check @unchartedatlas. Getting maps is easy. And usually not as important as people think.

I thought Westeros is the Size of South America, and again it was flipped map of North or South America.

I'm trying to create landmasses for my version Angevin Empire, Kingdom of Iberia lands, and the lands of Papal States/Italy.

LW