What constitutes "previously published"?

Thread: What constitutes "previously published"?

What constitutes "previously published"?

I'm finally ready to submit some short stories but I'm confused about the terminology. One of my short stories was included in an anthology my writing group did. The anthology was available to members or people the members gave them to. It was never on sale to the general public (in bookstores, etc.). So is that story okay to submit or is it now dead? What if I edited it and changed a few things?

Also, if I do submit it to a contest, for example, but it didn't win or even place, can I then submit it elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

On point 1: Did you sign a contract with the anthology?

On point 2: Yes you can resubmit anything that wasn't accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    On point 1: Did you sign a contract with the anthology?

On point 2: Yes you can resubmit anything that wasn't accepted.
    On point 1: I can't remember for sure, but don't remember it. It was 15 years ago.

On point 2: Do you have to receive a proper rejection letter? If not, how long do you have to wait before assuming it was not accepted? Do you have to disclose to any future submissions that you've submitted it and where and when?

Thanks for the reply.