How's your WIP coming along?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How's your WIP coming along?

How's your WIP coming along?

Hi all

I've not been around much as I've been really busy with my novel (and the kids over Easter; damn you, school holidays!) And I'm pleased to say that yesterday I finished it!!! Well, first draft anyway but hell, it's taken almost a year so definitely cause for celebration. I must say, it feels bloody lovely.

I'm now putting it away for a few weeks before I start revisions and editing.

How are you all getting on with your WIPs? (That goes out to new members, too, who I have yet to meet - hi )

Arachne
    You can view my website Hidden Content
    And find me on Twitter Hidden Content

Hidden Content

'Everything in life is writeable if you have the outgoing guts to do it. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt'

- Sylvia Plath

my WIP is coming along like i should have chained it up in a basement and started putting nipple clamps on it and gagged it with a spoon
    and totally forced it to submit to enduring mean and nasty things from me many moons ago.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.Ē

I'm in the tarting up stage, moving a few bits around and cutting redundancies. I was dumb enough to let it go to an agency before I had finished.

Tips
    1. Use the magnification setting in your word possessor to about 150%, it will give you less words on a page to work on at a time.
    2. Regularly save, say every few edits. And at the end of a session use the 'save as' option and update the version. This will stop the pain of needing to go back and undo a blind alley.

Good luck
    BC

Wow, sounds like it really has a life of its own! Canít wait to read it...

Hello, Arachne *waves*
    Nice to meet you.

I am writing my first novel ever, at the age of 76.
    I have reached 10,000 words.
    I have no chapters, just two sections and am writing in First person, present tense.
    Such fun!

I have had a lot of good advice on here about how to handle all the 'I's', so today I am going to re-assess my style before writing on.
    Can't wait to see what my MC might do next.
    My candle burns at both ends / It will not last the night,
    But ah, my foes and oh, my friends / It gives a lovely light.
    Edna St. Vincent Millay

Working on a piece that I'm not entirely sure how it's going to turn out. Sci-fi rendition of the Abel and Cain story from the Bible entitled Abel and Kane (deliberate misspelling.) Its style reminds me of a bunch of my influences, namely Frankenstein, Philip K. Dick novels, and Jules Vernes' work. I'm really excited with the story, as this is something I've never tried before, and I'll take it as far as possible. The words are literally just flowing out. I'm not even a religious person, but this is just working for me.

Current word count: 7854.

Also, working on a science fiction story, yet again, for an in-person critique group. It's using the 2nd person P.O.V. I'm liking where it's going as well. I'm trying to keep it around 2000 words.

The thing is, I don't usually write a ton of sci-fi. I've been on a streak of reading a lot of it recently, specifically Philip K. Dick.

I like changing, interweaving, and splicing genre conventions. I always like to think of myself as a apprentice writer (always learning, improving, and growing) in a world without masters. The goal is in the discovery, the journey, no matter how it turns out it in the end.
    Last edited by Bard_Daniel; May 4th, 2019 at 04:42 PM.

Second book in a trilogy, crossed over 40k yesterday, still going strong.

cover's almost ready

Quote Originally Posted by -xXx- View Post
    cover's almost ready
    Oooo. When we get a look'see?

Sweet LGBTQIA romance novella, a friends to lovers fake relationship small town piece with a lot of rural poverty in it. Alternates between epistolary and second person present, as one of the characters is dysphoric and has the sort of highly contracted narrative distances that it fits.
    Spent a week outlining. Wrote the first two chapters over the last two days. 12 chapters to go. Trying to decide on how to do my writing conventions for the techie girl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast