How's your WIP coming along? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How's your WIP coming along?

Was making fairly good progress until a couple of months ago. Put it away for a while, then came back to it and after rereading it I feel like my voice is all over the place and I can't get my plot in line. Is it a drama? A murder mystery? A romance? It has no idea. Neither do I. So I'm ripping out great ragged bleeding chunks and attempting to wrangle it into some sort of readable...thing. *headdesk*

Well, which one of those genres holds the most interesting story? Slave the other plots to the central one, imagine how it would read.

Go through your manuscript and make notes about what kind of plot and what is going on in each piece, paragraph, whatever. Then look over that summary list and see if you find any themes.

Well....finally started a new WIP last night. The idea formed in my brain while I was work yesterday, so I jotted down some plot points and information and got down to it when I was in for the night. Two acts done so far, and hopefully one or two more before the day is done.

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

I'm slashing like crazy, deleting the drivel that upped my word count beyond acceptance for most. Feels good, but sad. I'll get over it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Hi all

I've not been around much as I've been really busy with my novel (and the kids over Easter; damn you, school holidays!) And I'm pleased to say that yesterday I finished it!!! Well, first draft anyway but hell, it's taken almost a year so definitely cause for celebration. I must say, it feels bloody lovely.

I'm now putting it away for a few weeks before I start revisions and editing.

How are you all getting on with your WIPs? (That goes out to new members, too, who I have yet to meet - hi )

Arachne
    That is definitely a caused for celebration! Congratulations to you.

My WIP is coming along slowly but surely. I tend to fly through the first few chapters then toward the middle-end I become sluggish. I blame writers block lol. I did manage to add 10,000 words last week so Iím hoping to match, or exceed, that this week. Iíd like to reach about 75-80,000 words when all is said and done. Iím currently sitting at 51,000 so Iím hoping to have my first draft complete by the end of the month *fingers crossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by meegads View Post
    Was making fairly good progress until a couple of months ago. Put it away for a while, then came back to it and after rereading it I feel like my voice is all over the place and I can't get my plot in line. Is it a drama? A murder mystery? A romance? It has no idea. Neither do I. So I'm ripping out great ragged bleeding chunks and attempting to wrangle it into some sort of readable...thing. *headdesk*
    Did you decide what to do yet? If the tone and ideas are really far apart and difficult to link you could have yourself a few novels for the price of one!

Quote Originally Posted by JJBuchholz View Post
    Well....finally started a new WIP last night. The idea formed in my brain while I was work yesterday, so I jotted down some plot points and information and got down to it when I was in for the night. Two acts done so far, and hopefully one or two more before the day is done.

-JJB
    I love it when a new idea comes and my brain starts automatically tweaking and adding to it. Although, it can also be very consuming and I can find it difficult to think of much else during that stage. I get twitchy and tense until the thing is at least outlined. Sounds like you made a good start on it already. Hope it's still going well.

Quote Originally Posted by ms.carterr View Post
    That is definitely a caused for celebration! Congratulations to you.

My WIP is coming along slowly but surely. I tend to fly through the first few chapters then toward the middle-end I become sluggish. I blame writers block lol. I did manage to add 10,000 words last week so I’m hoping to match, or exceed, that this week. I’d like to reach about 75-80,000 words when all is said and done. I’m currently sitting at 51,000 so I’m hoping to have my first draft complete by the end of the month *fingers crossed*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10 000 words in a week is good.
    I found the same with the speed inconsistency actually, I flew the first bit then struggled the whole middle section. However, when I could see the end in sight I was flying again. I think setting a deadline to finish is crucial for me, so like you I set myself one which was reasonably doable and it worked a treat. I'm pretty stubborn and I think that helps, especially as I told someone the deadline; I cannot be seen to fail!

Arachne
    You can view my website Hidden Content
    And find me on Twitter Hidden Content

Hidden Content

'Everything in life is writeable if you have the outgoing guts to do it. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt'

- Sylvia Plath

If you have one problem, that's an issue. If you have two problems, you might be able to get them to fight and take each other out.
    Had a cultural background to work in, and I wasn't sure how to get the villain away from the McGuffin. But the cultural background changes it from a European funeral to a potlatch, which ties up the villain and the MC that has to not be the proactive one and makes an opportunity for a try-fail cycle. Spent two days rewriting the outline. Head is still buzzy.

I am now eight scenes into my WIP. It's going to be a little longer than I originally planned, but that's okay. I want to make sure I build it slowly, then introduce some other critical elements at the right time, so as to stick the climax.

I'm having a lot of fun with this one

-JJB
    ​"Strong convictions precede great actions....."

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Why I ever started a MG fantasy is so beyond me, I don't have a right to understand it. I'm stuck about 1/2 through it, and it's been that way for a year. I have been prepping, editing and promoting the trilogy though, so it's not like I've been kicking back.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123