My Why... why why why... - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Why... why why why...

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Just look at the posts on poetry on this site. I don't think anything is being solved.

I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    I beg to differ.
    You've solved the pandemic? The economic recession were in? Climate change? Are all these problems in that minority that you don't include in "most"?

Not at all. But poetry raises consciousness and writing poetry raises consciousness, even if these are incremental steps. I believe that art makes the world a better, richer, safer place. That's why tyrants suppress it. It doesn't solve all problems all at once and of course there are always new problems. But writing poetry changes the world by changing the poet.

The words/concepts "problems" and "solutions" are so often misunderstood. The starving child, all bones and protruding belly is not the "problem" nor is the bowl of nutritious gruel it's given to ease back into food the "solution", however welcome for that individual child. The "problem" is the consciousness of the society that failed to produce conditions that would have ensured such a condition never existed. Altering the consciousness of the culture is the only way to solve the problem . . .and poetry, narratives, stories that embody the best of the culture in words that can shock the culture into heightened awareness of their identity and potential, that is the key. Baby steps, for sure. First, the poets achieve that sense of fusion within themselves, second, epiphanies in their readers/hearers impact the culture in small ways that grow into broader paths. All cultures know this. At any given moment in any culture, the statements of account, engineering specs for mega projects, clandestine notes between royal lovers, shopping lists for major parties--all of these declarative, functional, task-oriented documents were HUGELY more important to keep the gears moving than any poem of the day. But ALL of those functional documents quickly became dust as the currency of their issues were passed and gone. What survives then? From every culture, down thru time . . . .their poetry. Not by accident. By necessity.

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Quote Originally Posted by TL Murphy View Post
    Not at all. But poetry raises consciousness and writing poetry raises consciousness, even if these are incremental steps. I believe that art makes the world a better, richer, safer place. That's why tyrants suppress it. It doesn't solve all problems all at once and of course there are always new problems. But writing poetry changes the world by changing the poet.
    That's a good way to put it. It does change the poet and makes one look at the world differently by increasing awareness, which is not necessarily a good thing when you don't like what you see, and in the current state of America, there's a lot not to like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123