Does an author purposely trending PC nonsense irritate anyone else?

Page 1 of 29 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Does an author purposely trending PC nonsense irritate anyone else?

Does an author purposely trending PC nonsense irritate anyone else?

It does me. Like JK Rowling just transforming characters with a "gay reveal", even though completely out of character.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

So you mean like making someone something just to make certain groups happy?
    A true friend is someone who knows everything about you, and still wants to be your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkGhost View Post
    So you mean like making someone something just to make certain groups happy?
    Just to follow fashion, I guess. I kind of find it stupid and damn near offensive when it's done just to simply appease
    some trend that's going on, if the story itself doesn't call for it. Like if shit was popular last week, but honey is popular
    this week? But then you think....hold on. maybe I should dip this shit in a jar of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    It does me. Like JK Rowling just transforming characters with a "gay reveal", even though completely out of character.
    Just to follow fashion, I guess. I kind of find it stupid and damn near offensive when it's done just to simply appease
    some trend that's going on, if the story itself doesn't call for it. Like if shit was popular last week, but honey is popular
    this week? But then you think....hold on. maybe I should dip this shit in a jar of honey.
    Oh waah.

1. What makes it 'out of character'? Since when is homosexuality a character quirk as opposed to a normal state of being? Why does designating Dumbledore as gay render him 'transformed'?

2. How do you know the author's motivation? Are you professionally qualified as a mind reader or is it more a recreational pastime?

3. Why does it offend you?

Looks like before today you did not post for well over a year. Can I suggest if you had a whole year to think up this hot take it might not have been the best use of your time?

The reason it does not irritate most of us is because most of us don't get irritated by things which are voluntary like books, nor do we see the world through the juvenile prism of 'Why does this have to be gay?'

lol. It offends me because it's fake as fuck and everyone can plainly see it.

lol. It offends me because it's fake as fuck and everyone can plainly see it.
    Please explain what 'fake as fuck' means? Wasn't aware there was some standard of authenticity in a piece of fantasy fiction about wizards...

As far as 'everyone can plainly see it'. No, they really can't. That's why most people didn't have a huge problem with it, certainly not the series' core demographic which is children. Harry Potter remains as popular as ever. Notwithstanding Tucker Carlson and the same old gang of neckbeards, misogynists and snowflakes. The same people who whine about having women in fantasy and a black guy in Star Wars. Nobody else cares.

lol. I don't even give a damn about the horseshit you're referring to. And yes....a lot of people have dissed Rowling
    over that nonsense. But this isn't about her personally. She was just a good example of what I'm talking about. What
    I'm talking about is like.....ok. Say the novel I'm working on now. I'm almost halfway through it. But in mid-book, I decide
    because of idiotic pop culture to totally make my character do something or become something that totally doesn't fit
    with the first half of the book just for the sake of some stupid trend....THAT is what I'm talking about. It would be a total
    insult to the reader's intelligence. And if they didn't realize it was fake? They'd be a fucking idiot.

lol. I don't even give a damn about the horseshit you're referring to. And yes....a lot of people have dissed Rowling
    over that nonsense. But this isn't about her personally. She was just a good example of what I'm talking about. What
    I'm talking about is like.....ok. Say the novel I'm working on now. I'm almost halfway through it. But in mid-book, I decide
    because of idiotic pop culture to totally make my character do something or become something that totally doesn't fit
    with the first half of the book just for the sake of some stupid trend....THAT is what I'm talking about. It would be a total
    insult to the reader's intelligence. And if they didn't realize it was fake? They'd be a fucking idiot.
    If you wrote something for an idiotic reason and the thing you wrote totally didn't fit with anything else you wrote...I guess that would be pretty idiotic, yeah. Not that I could possibly imagine you being capable of doing anything idiotic, of course.

This is super challenging stuff, dale. Keep it coming.

I did get the feeling that she did that to be trendy, but I suppose it's her story so her call.
    I won't be losing any sleep over it though (says the guy who's posting at 5.25 am).

Yea, I can see what OP means with this.

But on the other hand, it's true that JK Rowling's own work and she has the right to do whatever she wants to do with it.

It doesn't matter. If she just want to please certain group, that's her own problem.

Page 1 of 29 12345678911 ... LastLast