Question Regarding Public Domain

Thread: Question Regarding Public Domain

Question Regarding Public Domain

I have a question regarding the fact that copyright has expired for all works published in the United States before 1923. I use a lot of Theosophical references in my book most of whom represent texts published by the original authors before 1920. However, the Theosophical Society keeps re-printing these works. For instance, The Hidden Side of Things was first published in 1917, but I use a reprint from 2004. Does the Theosophical Society now own the copyright to this work or is it the original author? I suppose I can ask them but I was wondering whether anyone in this forum knows the answer.

Thanks,

-Charles

The answer is inside the front cover on the title page.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Thanks. I contacted the publisher so I will get a direct answer.

Open the book. Look at the first page, with the title on it. The copyright info is on that page, for legal reasons. If there's no info, there's no claim to copyright. It's very possible that the newest publisher renewed the copyright. But it doesn't look like it -- Google has the title page and it has no copyright info for that work of religious fiction.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Thanks. I'll do that. From your asides, I guess you are not a fan of esoteric or metaphysical literature.

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Open the book. Look at the first page, with the title on it. The copyright info is on that page, for legal reasons. If there's no info, there's no claim to copyright. It's very possible that the newest publisher renewed the copyright. But it doesn't look like it -- Google has the title page and it has no copyright info for that work of religious fiction.

I peruse it for story ideas sometimes but I'm strictly materialist.
    Hidden Content