BOOK SALES so far this year? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BOOK SALES so far this year?

That's pretty good Aquilo. Keep that sales arc up there as long as you can. It's all about feeding the algorithmic beast.

My book sales have been very slow but this is because I did it all wrong.
    my blog: Hidden Content

I haven't been paying much attention for the past couple of years but I'll try to add them up later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I haven't been paying much attention for the past couple of years but I'll try to add them up later.

Amazon can show you historical reports.

For the past 12 months, 80 paperbacks and 123 ebooks. I haven't counted the Kindle Select page reads nor check the audiobooks, though I know I've only sold a few audiobooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    For the past 12 months, 80 paperbacks and 123 ebooks. I haven't counted the Kindle Select page reads nor check the audiobooks, though I know I've only sold a few audiobooks.
    So possibly you may have received $1000 to $2000 for your book sales?

Can I ask what motivates you to do this and continue if the returns (if correct) are so low?

That's not meant to be a prying or a personal question. Just the 'motivation'.
    Last edited by Biro; November 13th, 2019 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    So possibly you may have received $1000 to $2000 for your book sales?

Can I ask what motivates you to do this and continue if the returns (if correct) are so low?

That's not meant to be a prying or a personal question. Just the 'motivation'.
    Yes, your figures sound roughly accurate and I don't mind the question.

First, it's either not much or not bad depending on how you look at it. I haven't put anything new out in over two years so the amount has dropped, maybe in half. Also, some of the books were written a few years before that, even. So, at this point, it's passive income, like interest or dividends. And, one or two thousand bucks for work you did in the past can actually add up to a nice little haul over ten years. Also, some of my dozen books are just little guides that didn't take me very long to write. And, my titles are always there, to be added to and build up my author presence. It's always possible one of them will take off, and pull the others along with it. I also make a few bucks from stories and articles, which adds a little more to the total.

I sometimes do think I should at least try for more money with my writing. Various ways that would probably make a difference are writing guides that seem in hot demand rather than just whatever interests me, novels instead of short stories and just writing more - in other words, treating it like a job. However, at this point in my life, I don't want or need a job. (If I did, I'd go back to work and make a decent salary). I don't do it for money, I do it because I enjoy it, the same as someone who acts in community theater plays or paints as a hobby. Well, it's more than just "enjoying" it. I get a giant kick out of it.

So while I wouldn't turn down money, it's not my primary goal. Which is fortunate for me, because writing is just not a very viable way to make a living. I wouldn't recommend anyone expect that. As with most rules, there are some exceptions but the exception doesn't change the rule. I do know a small handful of writers who make a full-time or decent part-time living from their writing but the vast majority of them don't make anything at all. I put my writing money into a separate account and use it to buy luxuries I'd otherwise feel too naughty about, like nice jewelry. That makes it more fun, too.
    Last edited by Ma'am; November 13th, 2019 at 09:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123