Book Awards for Marketing Purposes

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Book Awards for Marketing Purposes

Exclamation Book Awards for Marketing Purposes

PRO TIP:
    One popular way to make your book stand out amongst the competition is to apply for and win book awards. All of my paid books have been fortunate enough to win awards, including this one awarded to my latest book about marketing...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apple Book Awards Seal_2018 small.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	23513

Sadly, these particular awards didn’t come with a cash prize. However, these awards did provide some much needed publicity in the form of periodic social media tweets about my award, a listing on the book contest’s website (including a link to my book’s Amazon listing), and digital seals to show that my book received these awards. Also, these awards allow me to advertise my books as “award-winning” and thus provide social proof that they are helpful and well-written. How much impact these awards actually have is anyone’s guess, but I certainly don’t think they hurt.

Below are a few tips to help anyone who may be interested in entering a book award contest.

First, I recommend searching online for contests that are open to books like yours and check for their eligibility requirements. Some are open exclusively to traditionally-published books or self-published books, and others are open to both. Some contests are limited to certain genres. Most have limits on the publication date of entries (usually within the last two years). Also check for entry fees and deadlines.

Second, compile your list of potential book contests and check their reputation to avoid scams by visiting https://selfpublishingadvice.org/…/award-and-contest-rating….

Third, consider the number of available categories offered by each contest when choosing which contest to enter. Your odds of winning are increased if the contest has 70 categories versus one that only offers 7 categories.

If you are interested, some of the more reputable book award contests available for indie authors can be found at https://www.indiereader.com/2018/…/self-published-book-award.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; March 30th, 2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: fix spacing and emoji
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Utterly agree with this. Awards certainly give your work some good ground, and it's a great boost to you as the author. I love the Reviewing Blog's "best of" awards. They are great to list on your site.

Blog Entries
    This is a great idea and I was pursuing it yesterday, following some rigid guidelines I set for myself. I'm just having a little trouble finding free or low cost entry fees. It could be quite costly if you join a couple three of them and their entry fees are substantial.
    Blog: Guerilla Warfare For Writers:Hidden Content

Amazon Page: Hidden Content
    Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers: Hidden Content

That's very true. For my first book, I went overboard and entered 10 contests at a total cost of $800. Ouch! I won 3 awards, but really the goal is just to win at least 1 book so I can advertise it as "award-winning." Since then, I only enter 4 or 5 contests for my other books and most of the ones I enter cost around $75 (give or take). The cheapest one that I enter is the one called Kindle Book Awards (it's only $29... you can find it if you Google it). I also found that if you enter book award contests that offer several categories, your chances of winning or receiving an honorable mention will increase significantly. Some contests only have a total of 7 categories (1 nonfiction plus 6 fiction). I have not had any luck winning those. Other contests have around 70 categories and I've had much more success winning those contests. Good luck!
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Especially if an awards contest charges for entry, I recommend googling "X award winners" or some such, then looking up previous books that have won those awards and checking out their success on Amazon. Some of them cost quite a bit to enter but don't seem to have any connection to successful sales of the award winning books. Of course, it might be fun to try anyway, just so you know what you're getting into.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm now if the EFFys, looking for initial nominations for the quarter finals. It costs $75, a real chunk there. But I thought I can't win anything if I don't try something out. Problem is, you must have 100 nominations to advance. They are actually recommendations, since you are not judging, that is for the later final categories. This is a new awards contest, so it remains to be seen how it will function and conclude. I recall something called the EPPies, I think it was. Awfully close, wot?

Yeah, Mikeyboy, you did make a huge plunge back then, eh? Three awards, though. They go in your credit reseme and stay there.

Good luck, Chris! I haven't heard of the EFFys, but I have heard of the IPPY awards (ippyawards dot com).
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Forgive me, Mikey, it is IPPY, I stand corrected. The EFFys stand for Epic Fantasy Fanatics Reader's Choice Awards. Mouthful, wot? It's spanking new. The group originated from bunch that got together to express their love for epic, (high--road) fantasy. They decided to put a contest together. And in that contest they decided to accept all sub-genres of fantasy. That's what perked me up. When I went contest hunting, I came across mostly literary and contemporary awards contests. This one smacked on a genre (besides SF) so I thought I'd give it whirl. I did win the first place grand prize in a publisher's sponsored contest a few years ago for best YA novel, and that was a great shot to the ego. I think the trick to it is, enter a contest it and forget about it, don't stress or anticipate--just roll along--if it happens it happens.