Scores: Literary Maneuvers March 2019 - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scores: Literary Maneuvers March 2019

I'd like to thank the Host, Judges, Competitors and last but not least the Readers. I had fun writing for the competition. Can't wait for the next one.

Thanks to the judges and the host - Lots of good tales and sharp writing.

I've always enjoyed the LM. Doing a 650 flash piece with a prompt can get the juices going. As Sue pointed out I did not integrate my prompt well. I made it into a hanging fruit. For this piece I needed another 30 words or so to do the prompt justice, but I did enjoy writing my dark morsel. I write dark fairy tales and this one is no exception. Do these cannibal community's exist, I surely hope not but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Humans love to play in the mud...

One point- he was on the cover of Time for his philanthropic work concerning his soup kitchens not his cooking activities. He even said it was ironic that he was a beloved figure when in reality he was eating and cooking his homeless guests.

warmest
    bob
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Thanks for the win and, more than anything, for the feedback! Some great pieces.

just to briefly respond to the feedback regarding my piece about terminal cancer not relating directly to the prompt of ďWarden, I want my own cellĒ: The idea I was exploring, which might not have been made sufficiently clear, is that not all prisons are prisons, not all punishments have crimes, and sometimes the jailer is who we love.
    Really enjoyed the story and congrats, but...
    ...I think you have not been challenged enough by the prompt. The last prompt was Footprints in the Snow. At the end you could have had someone following her footprints in the sand to find her body. The prompt previous to that was Moon Landing. One could have the moon landing on telly in the background in the room (the winning story was like this weak link to the prompt, it was a good one though). Warden, I Want a New Cell doesn't seem abstract enough to me to merit your story.
    I hope I don't sound like I'm taking it too seriously but I'm genuinely puzzled. Especially puzzled at the judges reactions. When I judged in the last prompt I deducted points from people for this.
    No sour grapes at finishing nearly last again! (not much you may think!) Honestly, there were a lot of good stories here (even the winner's!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatclub View Post
    ...I think you have not been challenged enough by the prompt. The last prompt was Footprints in the Snow. At the end you could have had someone following her footprints in the sand to find her body. The prompt previous to that was Moon Landing. One could have the moon landing on telly in the background in the room (the winning story was like this weak link to the prompt, it was a good one though). Warden, I Want a New Cell doesn't seem abstract enough to me to merit your story.
    I hope I don't sound like I'm taking it too seriously but I'm genuinely puzzled. Especially puzzled at the judges reactions. When I judged in the last prompt I deducted points from people for this.
    No sour grapes at finishing nearly last again! (not much you may think!) Honestly, there were a lot of good stories here (even the winner's!)
    First of all, thanks for reading and enjoying my work, Fatclub. I am sorry you don't find my story meritorious.

I do recognize there are different opinions. I also recognize the brief called for: "Pick your own title, write about whatever you want, in whatever prose style and interpreted as you see fit, as long as it's related in some way to the prompt."

At the time I considered entering, I already noticed that all of the entries so far, every single one, had taken the prompt literally. I don't run nor judge these contests so its not my call, but I did not understand 'Warden, I Want My Own Cell' to mean 'give me 10 stories set inside prisons please' in the context of a contest called 'Literary Maneuvers'. I will let bdcharles explain his vision if he wants to.

I already explained how my story relates. Whether it works for you or others is definitely available for reasonable disagreement. I do disagree that relationship is nearly as incidental or thoughtless as you suggest: The themes of my story and of a prisoner wanting 'their own cell', I believe, are entirely consistent.

I could even go further here and maybe explain some other metaphors that might have been missed, like the play on the word 'cell' ('cancerous cell' and 'prison cell') perhaps... But I'm not here to ram my writing's coherence down others' throats. If my idea was not rendered clear enough, that is my failure not yours.
    Last edited by luckyscars; March 26th, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatclub View Post
    See I read it as "I want a new cell because my current ones are cancerous".

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    ...in the context of a contest called 'Literary Maneuvers'. I will let bdcharles explain his vision if he wants to.
    The format of the LM predates my curatorship of it. But all this does raise the question of what constitutes a prompt. Sometimes I read a prompt and that ... prompts me ... to a whole secondary train of thought, most of which is not clearly related to the original thing, as luckyscars says. After all, actively including the prompt would make it a brief, no? But I suppose it can be a little confusing. I wonder if we ought to try bridging that gap when writing such entries, so that the prompt and the link to all those spawned off ideas is clear. It would actually be pretty interesting, to me, like a glimpse under all your writerly hoods. Do it. Do it, do it, do it!

Anyway I'm glad I guessed right about the cancer. (Yikes that sounded less morbid in my head *glances skyward* Sorry, Mother...)

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

I support any change that makes the mind of the writer more clear to those in the position of judging. This last one (Warden, I want my own cell) really could have used a glimpse at those writerly thoughts - for a couple I can think of. What does it take to make changes to a standard like LM?
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

I think I have also misconstrued the idea of the competitions. I believed, incorrectly it seems, that we had to write clearly to the prompt too. I wish I had known it was not necessary to include it so obviously as itís a pain.

Donít get me wrong, Iím not offended at all and I loved the winning story, it was clearly the most well-written, but I wish I had known earlier that the link could be as tenuous. I should have googled about writing prompts or something as I clearly misunderstood.

Maybe a title which explains the link could be the answer.

Arachne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    I support any change that makes the mind of the writer more clear to those in the position of judging. This last one (Warden, I want my own cell) really could have used a glimpse at those writerly thoughts - for a couple I can think of. What does it take to make changes to a standard like LM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    I think I have also misconstrued the idea of the competitions. I believed, incorrectly it seems, that we had to write clearly to the prompt too. I wish I had known it was not necessary to include it so obviously as it’s a pain.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not offended at all and I loved the winning story, it was clearly the most well-written, but I wish I had known earlier that the link could be as tenuous. I should have googled about writing prompts or something as I clearly misunderstood.

Maybe a title which explains the link could be the answer.

Arachne
    For me, all this is very much down to the discretion of the judges. If the judges see the link, and the prompt, and they like what they see, high score. If they don't, or if they're unconvinced by it, low score. It's a fine balance between generating good writing and being too prescriptive. Also it's always worth looking to see who's judging so you have a chance to write to their style, if you've a mind to.

It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

- Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    This last one (Warden, I want my own cell) really could have used a glimpse at those writerly thoughts - for a couple I can think of. What does it take to make changes to a standard like LM?
    For me, the problem with this is it reduces the incentive for the writer to make the link between the prompt and the story clear within the actual narrative. Worse, it could add an element of essay-writing to scoring - suddenly it doesn't matter how good the story is so long as long as the writer can articulately (or not) explain the link and those that are less good at self-analysis of their work would be at a disadvantage. Not to mention, obviously, that in commercial writing we almost never get to preface our stories to explain what we mean.,,

It's a tough one. I like my work to be understood (doesn't everybody?) and it's obviously disheartening to be told by some my interpretation does not address the prompt and to lose score as a result but...that's life. As I said, if I write something and half the target audience (or in this case at least 1/3 of the judging panel) doesn't think my work adequately linked to the prompt it does not matter if I disagree. I have to own the fact that in terms of clarity of message my work was not as good as it could have been. You can't take the kudos without taking the could-have-done-betters. For what it's worth I had fun!
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast